New low-end 21.5 iMac or refurb hi-end 21.5 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Red Dmitry, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Red Dmitry, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

Red Dmitry macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I'm new to Macintosh computers. I decided to buy iMac because I need computer for gaming, video, iOS develop, and I want big screen. I'll buy it in about 2 mounth, so I'm going to make decision - to buy new one but low-end(1200$) or to buy refurbished hi-end (1270$). Please help me to decide is it worth to take refurb(as I see there is not so much CPU and videocard difference, maybe I'm wrong). And I heard that 1Tb drive in newest iMac have some problems...

Thanks all for advices!

P.S. And BTW I'm not from USA, so if something will be wrong with computer it's a problem to fix it. There is only 1 authorised Apple service center in my city, and I don't know will they fix problems with mac's that was bought in USA (don't know how they work with refurbished).

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Read the several dozen threads here about refurb products.

Most will tell you you can't tell the difference from new - except for the brown box. All my Apple products have bee refurbs except my iPhone and iPad.

You get the same warranty as new - and can buy Applecare for a refurb. The service place shouldn't treat it any differently than a new model.

I'd go for the refurb.

3. sam2428 macrumors 6502

4. Red Dmitry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for advice!

No, I totally don't care of it, because have no devices to connect there.

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

You may in a year or two...

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

If you don't care about any of the new features I'm sure the refurb will run fine. My macbook was refurbed and acted as if it were new. My iMac, on the other hand, I bought new.

What to consider when buying refurb is really what you will get for your money. While the new low end may be a similar price to the refurbbed high end is it really that much worse? Because they upgraded the GPU's and CPU's the low end one might actually be a stronger product because it's newer.

At the end of the day, I say it's up to you really. Without seeing the exact products you're considering I can't give much better advice than that. All I can say is don't worry about it being refurb. Apple treats refurb products exactly the same as new ones.

7. Red Dmitry thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thx, probably I'll go for refurb hi-end 21.5 iMac.

8. dsq macrumors newbie

i just bought my imac which was refurbished. i can't tell the difference between a refurbished model and a brand new model aside from the packaging.

i bought the apple care as an assurance in case something happens after the one year warranty expires. although you should check with your local apple store to see if they will honour another country's apple warranty.