New Mac, Best Method to Import 30GB iPhoto Library from External HD to MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Mar 14, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've done a complete fresh reinstall of Lion, all the way installing the SL disc and now having a greatly running Lion on my MBP.

I've easily transferred all of my media from my external HD to iTunes without any problems; movies, music, apps, etc.

As for iPhoto, I figured i'd ask here. I have my iPhoto Library on my external but can't imagine it being as simple as dragging everything into either iPhoto itself, or some sort of import option. Needless to say, I'm a total novice when it comes to this question so would genuinely appreciate any advice heeded my way.

Thank you!

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would copy your iPhoto Library from your external to your Pictures folder on your internal drive, and then just launch iPhoto and make sure it sees the copied library. If you have a newer version of iPhoto than you had before, it will also convert the library.

Only snag I have ever run into with this was when I did not have all of the iPhoto updates loaded, and I actually had an OLDER version of iPhoto than the one on my other computer. iPhoto choked on the newer format, until I ran software update to bring everything up to date.

I usually do the same thing with my music folder also...