Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Mac mini, reinstalling OS questions

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I just bought a new Mac mini a couple of days ago. Pretty much after getting to the desktop after turning it on for the first time, I installed the Big Sur profile and installed it. I loved it, but trying to save files in Illustrator was freezing up. So, I went though a whole bunch of steps to make a Catalina installation USB drive, change the security settings so I can boot from it, and installed Catalina. it went through the process and on the reboot, it came up with some message about the OS needing to be reinstalled due to file vault or something. I entered my admin password and I guess it unlocked it and continued to install.

Now, I am back to the desktop and I turned on desktop icons because I like them there. There is the regular Macintosh HD icon and then there was another Volume called "update" that had all kinds of weird stuff like firmware and other files. I opened Disk Utility and saw that there were 2 "Data" volumes. The one that wasn't mounted, I deleted. the "Update" one I just unmounted. Should I delete that volume as well?

Also, when I first powered up the machine after getting it, I loaded up the App Store and it listed the bundled apps and told me to claim them if I ever wanted updates. I clicked to claim them and it kept prompting me for my iTunes username and password over and over again. I eventually had to hit cancel and it wouldn't "claim" the bundled apps. Now that I've erased my drive and reinstalled, am I going to lose access to those apps and never get updates because they were never "claimed"? I did look at the App Store and it had the option to download the iMovie app when I searched for it.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Here is a screenshot. I had previously unmounted that volume but it showed up again. I included a window with the contents of the volume. Why is it there? Can I delete it and is it taking up disk space?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.33.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.33.22 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.