Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axeros

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
What is the likelihood that Apple will switch to using the Intel Core M instead of i5/i7 processors in the next Mac Mini? It might not be what some of us want, but the lower range Mac Minis have traditionally used components from the lower range laptops.

The lowest power Apple laptop is now the rMB. By using the same Intel Core M processors from the rMB, Apple could slim down the Mini's form factor, which they certainly have done with other models, and clearly differentiate the Mini from the iMac series in terms of computing power. (A step downwards for Mac Mini processing power).

Any thoughts?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
What is the likelihood that Apple will switch to using the Intel Core M instead of i5/i7 processors in the next Mac Mini? It might not be what some of us want, but the lower range Mac Minis have traditionally used components from the lower range laptops.

The lowest power Apple laptop is now the rMB. By using the same Intel Core M processors from the rMB, Apple could slim down the Mini's form factor, which they certainly have done with other models, and clearly differentiate the Mini from the iMac series in terms of computing power. (A step downwards for Mac Mini processing power).

Any thoughts?

Why the heck should they do that? The Macbook only has the processor it has because it is meant to be extremely thin, while at the same time run without a fan and be energy efficient for the battery. The Mini doesn't need to be super thin, or run without a fan or be any more energy efficient.

Axeros

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Why the heck should they do that? The Macbook only has the processor it has because it is meant to be extremely thin, while at the same time run without a fan and be energy efficient for the battery. The Mini doesn't need to be super thin, or run without a fan or be any more energy efficient.

For various reasons: Apple likes to slim down its products. It's been doing this with every Mac - whether or not anyone particularly agrees with or likes the compromises involved. The Mac Mini's design hasn't changed much in the last few years, and using Intel Core M could reduce its size considerably. Consumers like smaller products (aside from the important question of performance), and there's a growing number of products in the small/micro/mini computer segment. (e.g. see EnesM's post above). Apple also likes smaller computers, because from the supply chain side, they cost significantly less to to ship, store, and so on. And as stated above, for Apple it would clearly differentiate the iMac line from the Mac Mini. Also Apple is productizing their computers, making them harder if not impossible to upgrade (e.g. the rMB). And soldered RAM has already appeared on the Mac Mini. So it would also seem the Mac Mini is undergoing a transition from a unit with upgradeable RAM and HDD/SDDs to smaller non-upgradeable product.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
For various reasons: Apple likes to slim down its products. It's been doing this with every Mac - whether or not anyone particularly agrees with or likes the compromises involved. The Mac Mini's design hasn't changed much in the last few years, and using Intel Core M could reduce its size considerably. Consumers like smaller products (aside from the important question of performance), and there's a growing number of products in the small/micro/mini computer segment. (e.g. see EnesM's post above). Apple also likes smaller computers, because from the supply chain side, they cost significantly less to to ship, store, and so on. And as stated above, for Apple it would clearly differentiate the iMac line from the Mac Mini. Also Apple is productizing their computers, making them harder if not impossible to upgrade (e.g. the rMB). And soldered RAM has already appeared on the Mac Mini. So it would also seem the Mac Mini is undergoing a transition from a unit with upgradeable RAM and HDD/SDDs to smaller non-upgradeable product.

Mmm a lot of people are complaining about the overwhelming size that the Mac Mini is :p

I'd love for Apple to focus on making a better Mac Mini. Not a smaller one.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
That's what they said about the soldered ram.
Then they soldered the ram in the mini ...

Yes, apple will start putting M-core cpus in the mac minis.

Reactions: redheeler

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
That's what they said about the soldered ram.
Then they soldered the ram in the mini ...

Yes, apple will start putting M-core cpus in the mac minis.

Theres a difference between soldered ram and significant downgraded performance for no good benefit to the consumer.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Theres a difference between soldered ram and significant downgraded performance for no good benefit to the consumer.
They did downgrade performance wise from the 2012 to the 2014 mini and there is no good benefit for the customer to solder cpu, gpu and ram.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
They did downgrade performance wise from the 2012 to the 2014 mini and there is no good benefit for the customer to solder cpu, gpu and ram.
They downgraded the base model but not the other models as much. Putting a rMb chip is a totally different thing.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Not the same t
Hardly, they dropped the top quad i7 model too.

Not the same thing. Going to a completely underpowered chip is such a step backwards in every single way. 2012 to 2014 is actually an upgrade if you buy the middle model. the current model at least has a semi suitable processor.

Apple had made some crazy decisions recently so it could happen but that doesn't make it a good decision.

Reactions: ixxx69

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
There was some discussion on this topic when the new MB first released, so I'm not surprised to see it come up again.

I agree with the OP: I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Apple significantly redesigns the Mini with a smaller form factor; probably not the size of the current Apple TV, but certainly smaller. The key attribute to the MB processor is that it doesn't need a fan, and this, combined with removing the power supply, allows for a much smaller chassis. IF Apple does this, I would not expect to see it until Skylake processors are released. For most consumers, this will probably have plenty of power to take care of the web surfing, emailing, and media use that a Mini spends most of its time doing. Those needing more power: buy an iMac or Mac Pro.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
There was some discussion on this topic when the new MB first released, so I'm not surprised to see it come up again.

I agree with the OP: I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Apple significantly redesigns the Mini with a smaller form factor; probably not the size of the current Apple TV, but certainly smaller. The key attribute to the MB processor is that it doesn't need a fan, and this, combined with removing the power supply, allows for a much smaller chassis. IF Apple does this, I would not expect to see it until Skylake processors are released. For most consumers, this will probably have plenty of power to take care of the web surfing, emailing, and media use that a Mini spends most of its time doing. Those needing more power: buy an iMac or Mac Pro.

I hope there'll be 2 models, one fanless, one more powerful. Different strokes for different folks.

I personally would go for the fanless, because I'd use it on a 4K TV for browsing, music and videos, iMac for other stuff.

Some people on the other hand use it with a 4K 40" TV as a desktop, so they'd need more power, not some fanless Celeron-like processor...

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I hope there'll be 2 models, one fanless, one more powerful. Different strokes for different folks.

Like there are two different models now (dual-core i5/ quad-core i7)?

Apple could go that route - I'm not sure if they actually do.
The Mini probably gets only a tiny fraction of a fraction of the R&D budget of the iPhone. As such, the current design will have to do for some time.
At least, that's what I think.
;-)

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
That would be the one thing that would get me away from wanting a Mac mini. No Core M for me. I want an i5 with some juice in it. I don't need a ton but something.

Last edited:

Axeros

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014

I personally would go for the fanless, because I'd use it on a 4K TV for browsing, music and videos, iMac for other stuff.

Some people on the other hand use it with a 4K 40" TV as a desktop, so they'd need more power, not some fanless Celeron-like processor...

A very small fanless model might actually sell quite well. Looking at the size of the current rMB circuit board, it's interesting to speculate just how small they could go with a fanless Mac Mini...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
A very small fanless model might actually sell quite well. Looking at the size of the current rMB circuit board, it's interesting to speculate just how small they could go with a fanless Mac Mini...

Maybe as a baseline model... But you're essentially buying 2011 speed technology..... What ever happened to interesting speed increases... I don't think they should price a machine like that at $600.

Again though form over function would just lead the Mini to become even less useful than Apple made in with the 2014 update.

Last edited:

Axeros

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
What ever happened to interesting speed increases... I don't think they should price a machine like that at $600.

Let's take this first. In the good old days, we would buy a computer, then a couple of years later, buy a new one which was twice as fast as the old one. Or, better still, wait 5 or 6 years, and get a machine that was an order of magnitude faster. That isn't happening any more (smart phones is another story). Some people would say Moore's Law is failing. That's not true, yet. What's happening is that Dennard scaling failed around 10 years ago. With it went the doubling in processor power every couple of years, and that's why the performance increases are really flattening out. Newer processors are faster, but not dramatically faster.

Maybe as a baseline model... But you're essentially buying 2011 speed technology.....

I'm not buying it at all. Over last three decades I've built and bought computers that I could personally upgrade. My current Macs are all around the 2012 vintage, since that's the last year Apple produced laptops and a Mac Mini that could be upgraded both RAM and HDD/SDD wise. Since then, Apple's been closing down the self upgrade path. But what we're talking about here, is what Apple is doing to the Mac Mini. And like it or not, I think they're transforming it into a non-upgradeable product, and they're going to be sorely tempted to make it smaller.

Apple has made its vast fortune not from the Mac, but from the iPhone, iPad and to a lesser extent the iPod. From their perspective, these products have succeeded, despite being totally self contained. I think this is part of the reason Apple are taking the same approach now to the Mac.

Again though form over function would just lead the Mini to become even less useful than Apple made in with the 2014 update.

This has never stopped Apple in the past.

Last edited:

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
That would be the one thing that would get me away from wanting a Mac mini. No Core M for me. I want an i5 will some juice in it. I don't need a ton but something.

Same here. I've the quad i7; I use it for feeding multiple ATV's, StreamToMe / Plex, Handbrake and general server stuff, and a Core M just won't cut it.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Why the heck should they do that? The Macbook only has the processor it has because it is meant to be extremely thin, while at the same time run without a fan and be energy efficient for the battery.

There you have it. ;) Following Apples recent strategy with the Mac mini, it is either long overdue for a refresh or they slowly discontinue it...

My personal opinion: Apple will announce a really tiny Mac mini while continue to offer the old form factor as well, but only as Server option. Would make sense and would make everybody happy for now.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
Maybe as a baseline model... But you're essentially buying 2011 speed technology..... What ever happened to interesting speed increases... I don't think they should price a machine like that at $600.

IMO they can have a fanless version, I wouldn't mind, but also keep upgrading the high-end version.

While I understand the trend of going thinner and smaller (marketing selling points), I would rather have the same sized Mini with a bigger and quieter fan, not unlike Mac Pro's fan. And, yes, it should also have all features of Apple TV, as it is being used by many as an HTPC. As Apple TV will be the center of HomeKit devices/accessories, it would be nice to have that option in a Mini too...oh, and a 2TB SSD pretty please (and HDMI 2.0a)

5 days till we know more, or not :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.