Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Wonder what limitations the PCIe slots will have, like, can I slap a real GPU in this thing or is there still going to no support similar to how eGPUs have been abandoned with Apple Silicon.
There was no mention of GPU, nearest was Video Input card, ie Black magic. If wanting eGPU or internal AMD/Nvidia GPU cards then shocker but nothing there.

Reactions: izzy0242mr

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
There was no mention of GPU, nearest was Video Input card, ie Black magic. If wanting eGPU or internal AMD/Nvidia GPU cards then shocker but nothing there.
That is my assumption as well, nothing, which is a real shame might finally force me to abandon the Mac platform. Been holding out with 2018 mini with eGPU waiting to see if something came along to provide real GPU support but looking like it'll never happen if this doesn't.

resonate

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Economies of scale. A lot of users do not need/want PCIe slots.

That's why 2013 Mac Pro came about & 2023 Mac Studios was created.
Yeah, sure, i get it. Let's see how the machine purrs with the right (if the same as mp 2019) cooling, there should be not a hint of throttling at all....if I remember well, there was a video (
) that was showing the m1 ultra is not using it's full potential...

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Presumably they know that
Very disappointing. Same design, RAM has gone from 1.5 TB to 0.2 TB, no ability to add graphics cards. It’s Mac Studio with card support.
Presumably the 1.5 TB RAM capacity of the current model is only relevant for a tiny proportion of Mac Pro customers though. I imagine Apple probably believes (perhaps based on actual device telemetry) that 192GB RAM covers a significant proportion (maybe even the majority) of Mac Pro use cases.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 well looks like my 2019 Mc pro will be my last, No PCIe GPU support is the killer. So no upgrade's possible, like the 5.1 CPU, memory, GPU. 2019 CPU, memory, GPU the new Mac pro Naff all to upgrade, just buy a new one when its updated :eek: Apple have really turned into a apple only eco system.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Yeah, sure, i get it. Let's see how the machine purrs with the right (if the same as mp 2019) cooling, there should be not a hint of throttling at all....if I remember well, there was a video (
) that was showing the m1 ultra is not using it's full potential...
Even when manually controlling HSF RPM?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Even when manually controlling HSF RPM?
Yeah, there's ZERO proof the MaxTech claim has any basis in reality. There's no proof there's any thermal throttling and I highly doubt the MP M2 Ultra will perform any better than the Studio M2 Ultra

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
So same CPU, GPU.

Outside of the afterburners and the ability to expand (Studio has room to upgrade using hubs etc) .. what's the reason for nearly 3 x the price? #Underwhelmed
The M2 Ultra Mac Studio is not much cheaper than the Mac Pro

Reactions: NC12

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Disappointing. They should have waited another 5 years so maybe the M chips could compete with the 3090.

Reactions: NC12

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Yeah, there's ZERO proof the MaxTech claim has any basis in reality. There's no proof there's any thermal throttling and I highly doubt the MP M2 Ultra will perform any better than the Studio M2 Ultra
What was the room air temp? Was it published?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.