MP 7,1 New Mac Pro - Ryzen 3000 12 core option?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FutureDancer, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Would you liked to have seen a Ryzen 3000 or 7nm Threadripper instead of Intel?

1. Yes please AMD all the way

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. No thanks stick with Intel

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Offer both!

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. FutureDancer macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I got thinking last night what would have happened if Apple had chosen to use the newly announced Ryzen 3000 processor the $499 12 core 24 thread model in the base instead of the Xeon they chose. I would have really have liked to see them and AMD collaborate here. It could have been a great platform to even announce a new Threadripper. They already work together on graphics.

Anyway I crunched some numbers and put together this video with my thoughts. I feel the base model could have been twice as fast with Ryzen.

2. Slash-2CPU macrumors regular

It couldn't work. Ryzen doesn't have enough PCIe lanes. Whole chassis and motherboard redesign would be necessary.

Modularity and expandability out the window.

3. FutureDancer thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking both Ryzen for base and next gen 7nm Threadripper for more lanes etc.

Do you know if Mac Pro is PCIE 4 like the newer Ryzen and likely next Threadripper? I saw mixed comments on it

4. Slash-2CPU macrumors regular

It’s absolutely PCIe 3.0.

Having 4.0 would be nice, but Intel doesn’t offer 4.0 on any chips yet.

5. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

And there are no PCIe 4.0 cards yet, so you'd be plugging PCIe 3.0 cards into the mobo.

It will be one or two years before PCIe 4.0 has any meaningful presence....

6. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

After seeing what the MacPro is there's no way a Ryzen CPU would work, maybe there will be a middle ground MacPro being worked on but I wouldn't hold my breath as it would eat into the iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Pro sales. Possibly there's an outside chance that after Threadripper 3 is released that they will switch to all AMD hardware. It would certainly be a massive move to ditch Intel (maybe they have long standing contracts that prevent this).

Personally I'd have two Mac Pros:

Ryzen 8-16 Cores say 3 or 4 PCIe cards (smaller MacPro)
    Threadripepr 3 with 24 -64 cores (or whatever it ends up being) and. similar spec to what the new Mac Pro currently is

I think the new MacPro in the 8 Core doesn't make any sense at all, they need to find a cheaper middle ground for home users, with a Ryzen that could really start to target gaming on the Mac, which is a massive market untapped for Apple IMO (save for iOS)

7. Slash-2CPU macrumors regular

My current Mac Pro is almost 10 years old. I bought it refurbished from Apple 9 years ago. One to two years is soon and less than 1/4 of the service life of my current Mac Pro.

I’ll be ordering one of these fairly early on, after the initial mad rush settles down and lead times are under 30 days. Absence of PCIe 4.0 is far from a dealbreaker for me. It’s not shaped like a trash can and can hold a few hard drives and SSD’s plus a m.2 carrier card and a ton of RAM. Perfect.

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

Just a heads up, but both Ryzen and Threadripper are consumer grade hardware. You'll want to look at Epyc for the equivalent to Xeon, and be able to use ECC to its fullest.

9. Slash-2CPU macrumors regular

Threadripper supports ECC. It’s AMD’s direct competitor to Workstation-class Xeon W.

Epyc = Xeon Scalable.

10. Zenithal, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 604

Threadripper supports a limited ECC role. Ryzen itself supports ECC provided a board supports ECC and is validated. With Epyc, you know that ECC support is there and isn't a half-assed effort like on some TR boards.

You should be fine with TR ECC if you're using 32 GB or a bit more of RAM. Anything more and I'd recommend spending the money on an Epyc system. It's also why I find the idea of using a consumer grade GPU a bit sketchy over using a workstation card. Consumer is obviously faster and more multi-role orientated, but the workstation cards tend to have better software support, better stability, and are often paired with software optimized by software vendors.

OTOH, AMD does make Ryzen Pro processors which you should look into. They offer more features than regular consumer processors. Those are OEM only, though.

11. Boil macrumors 6502

Boil

Ryzen 3000-series CPUs would not support the eight PCIe slots in the Mac Pro...

Ryzen 3000-series would be great for a more compact 'prosumer' oriented xMac...

New Mac Pro is not Pcie 4.0, still at 3.0, which is going to make one need to purchase another Mac Pro to go to 4.0 or 5.0... Good thing Phill did not have a chance to get on stage 7 tell us how this new Mac Pro was the Mac Pro for the next ten years...

Navi GPUs are coming, as are PCIe 4. NVMe storage devices...

The storage devices are what will really take advantage of the 4.0 spec...

I could see an all-AMD Mac desktop lineup...

Mac mini - Ryzen APUs
    Mac - Ryzen 3000-series CPUs
    xMac - Threadripper
    Mac Pro - Epyc

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

That I can see as well. Intel won't have a proper response until at least 2022-2023, and that's if the segmentation could be as great as Core2 back in 2006. Huge IF right there. I can see Apple using Ryzen Pro processors since they're an OEM. The Pro processors are a bit more refined than regular Ryzen and have more wizardry which is right up Apple's alley. Here's the info page.

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro

Edit: I think it's safe to presume Apple has these systems in their test lab at Cupertino.

13. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Thank you for confirming my post.

PCIe 4.0 is "coming" - it's not here now. For the next year or two, you'll be able to count the number of useful PCIe 4.0 devices available on the fingers of one hand. (The thumb is not a "finger".)

And I suspect that even the storage devices won't see a markedly visible improvement. Sure, synthetic tests like Black Magic will show great numbers - but will it be noticeable on actual workflows?

Who cares if Black Magic shows a 200% improvement, when your renders show a 5% improvement.

14. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

PCIe4 is already here for Ryzen CPU, gigabyte has. new PCIE4 NVME right out of the gate, it will be a quick transition on the PC side, I'm guessing next week we will see PCIe4 graphics cards from AMD, so straight away the Mac Pro is out of date

15. Boil macrumors 6502

Boil

PCIe 4.0 will be here Q3 2019, when Ryzen 3000-series CPUs & X570 AM4 motherboards go on sale...

Navi GPUs will be PCIe 4.0, and we will learn more about those at E3 (10JUN)...

PCIe 4.0 storage devices (NVMe AICs & M.2 SSDs) should also be debuting Q3 2019...

And if I only need one PCIe 4.0 GPU & one PCIe 4.0 SSD (single M.2 or AIC RAID) to make my Ryzen 3000-series CPU & X570 motherboard into a complete PCIe 4.0 system, who cares that there is only a handful of PCIe 4.0 components to start...?

The colloquial is "count on one hand", so the thumb, well, counts...

16. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro is dead on arrival. Better build your own AMD machine if you really need horsepower and you save alot of money too.

17. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, it's defiantly not dead on arrival, what I think they've done though is push too high core into the Pro level.