New Mac Pro to Sony TV/HP Monitor DVI

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by apollogold, Jan 16, 2008.

1. apollogold macrumors newbie

What kind of cable do I need to use to connect my new Mac Pro w/standard ATI video card to a composite or S-video cable?

Also, is DVI significantly better than the analog cable that comes with my HP 22'' monitor? If so, what wire to I need for that?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

for S-video/composite this works extremely well:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...op_mac/mac_accessories/displays&nplm=M9319G/A

DVI (digital) is incredibely accurate and provides a stronger/faster/crisper picture opposed to vga as it has video bandwidth limit, dvi is much more current and provides a better video singal, depending on if the monito connection on the back is male or female, chances are female, here are a list of REALLY CHEAP dvi cables you can purchase for the display:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/s...&spcWord=Video+Cable+-+<b>DVI</b>&keyword=dvi

hope this helps and goodluck =)

:apple:

3. apollogold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! The DVI cable looks great, but I'm concerned about the DVI to TV cable, because the DVI to Video cable on the Apple website says it only works with the ATI 1900, while the new Mac Pro comes with the ATI 2600. Will that still work?

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

well depends on the macpro and videocard you do have, lets say these possible configurations:

MacPro Quadcore (2xdual-core) 1,1 & Octo-core 2,1 (early 2007) -
    nVidia 7300 = 1-Dual Link DVI - Yes it can support the Dual-link dvi cable from your Display or if you had multiple 7300's it can support upto multiple DVI displays with upto Four cards in your system, you can connect just ONE Dual-link DVI display upto each 7300 or upto Four total Dual-link displays with Four 7300's on ONE Dual-Link DVI port per card.

ATI X1900XT = 2-Dual Link DVI - Yes can support both displays with its two-dual link dvi ports, so upto 2-Dual link DVI Displays to the dvi ports (or connected via the SVideo/Composite adapter)

and now

MacPro Octocore (2xQuadcore) 3,1 (early 2008) -

ATI x2600 = 2xDual-link DVI ports, so two high end DVI monitors in either port
    or you can have multiple ATI x2600's for more than 2 dual link dvi displays, upto Four of these Cards so upto 8 Dual-link DVI displays (or connected via the SVideo/Composite adapter)

nVidia 8800 - 2xDual-link dvi ports, Two high end displays that support dual-link dvi in each of the dvi ports (or connected via the SVideo/Composite adapter)

So in a nutshell all the NEW graphics cards can support 2 Dual-link DVI Displays (the ones your mentioning)
    and the older models can support them aswell but depends on which graphics card your using.

Hope that helps and clarifies any information.

Im just curious where on the Apple site your reading this information about the DVI cable only working with the X1900?
    If its on the http://www.apple.com/displays/ webpage than that information is clearly needing an dupdate, but also still relevant and that is just for the Cinema Displays primarily. Just go off the specs of the Graphics cards and it should hopefully make more clearer sense for you!
    :D

:apple:

5. apollogold thread starter macrumors newbie