New Mac Pro with Gateway XHD3000 monitor, PIP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by raideroh, Mar 28, 2008.

1. raideroh macrumors newbie

Anyone have experience using this Gateway 30" monitor with the mac pro. I bought this monitor so I could do Picture in Picture with my cable TV box. The one stipulation with the monitor is that you must be running in full 2560 x 1600 in order for PIP to work. Unfortunately the PIP settings are grayed out when I try to set it up. Gateway support was barely even aware that they sell this monitor and after an hour or so I just gave up. I have a theory as to what my problem is, but I'm looking for some help.

I am using Dual link DVI cables with all 24 pins and my graphics card is the stock ATI Radeon HD 2600. When I boot the computer a box appears on the screen (I'm assuming this is coming from the monitor) saying the resolution is 1280 x 800. After I select my user account and log into the system the box reappears and says I am running at 2560 x 1600. My theory is that the monitor is seeing that original 1280 x 800 from the graphics card and is thus not allowing PIP. Just a theory. Would love to hear from other owners of this monitor or anyone who can help.

Thanks

8 Core Mac Pro 2.8/320/10G RAM

2. dzeman macrumors newbie

Gateway XHD3000 monitor, PIP

I just bought one today....once connected I changed my display to 2560 x 1600 and was able to turn on PIP with no problems.:)

3. raideroh thread starter macrumors newbie

dzeman,

Great news, happy to hear it's working. I still don't have mine working.

I can watch cable no problem by selecting HDMI and I can use DVI to work on the Mac Pro at 2560 x 1600, but when I turn on PIP it comes up as a blank black box and a message pops up that says "Input Not Available".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

On Gateway FHD2400, the little brother of xhd3000, you can not use HDMI and DVI at the same time for PIP. Everything else should work but I am too lazy to download the manual if the same applys to XHD3000.