New Mac Pros are much slower than what apple promised us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattDSLR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Canada
Why are geek bench scores so low on nMP mini.
We are told by apple that they are twice as fast than the old macs.
What are they comparing them to?
What am I missing?

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Ill give it whirl...

CPU vs CPU (which is what most speed tests measure), the new pro is only faster than the old pro because of things like faster memory and faster storage. Its the same number of cores running at nearly the same clock rates.

The lions share of the improvements (and aditional costs) are made with the GPU. Any software that doesn't take this into account will not show these improvements.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I've been waiting to hear a non-slang based argument too. Yes, I be a hate-ah, that's a very good point...

goMac

macrumors 604
Apr 15, 2004
I'm starting to think MattDSLR doesn't like the Mac Pro. I mean, it's hard to tell, but I'm starting to have my suspicions...

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
what, you were thinking the nmp was going to have 6.66GHz processors in it or something?

because yeah, that would be a big letdown if you were thinking that.

(sounds dreamy though for sure.. i'd like that too)

----------

I'm starting to think MattDSLR doesn't like the Mac Pro. I mean, it's hard to tell, but I'm starting to have my suspicions...
nah.. put on the tweak glasses and you'll see he actually loves the thing but has some serious resistance towards it.. he'll come out of the closet soon enough ;)

ytoyoda

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Tokyo
What am I missing?
According to press release http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/12/18All-New-Mac-Pro-Available-Starting-Tomorrow.html

Mac Pro features 4-core, 6-core, 8-core or 12-core Intel Xeon processors running at Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz and two workstation-class AMD FirePro GPUs that deliver up to eight times the graphics performance of the previous generation Mac Pro.
Also Apple's Mac Pro page shows that, Floating Point performance is twice, and Memory Bandwidth is twice.
I think, we have not heard that overall CPU perforce is twice faster.

Attachments

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Apple should have put in iMac i7 and GPU and then just call it Mac Pro and plus still able to shrink the foot print smaller by another 30% :p:D

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Remember that benchmarks are only good as the routine they are using to measure performance by.

You can have CPU's that are great at one task, but then not as great at another task. The benchmark has to be able to detect that....and the viewer has to be able to interpret that result.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Not sure if Apple promised anything.
What you are missing is Apple being Apple! :p
When the demo video was released I mentioned Apple should have done the old "A" vs "B". The base nMP vs. 3,1 4,1 and 5,1 in real time with real apps! Show the "doors" being blown off the cMP's. Apple did not do this and now you know why. It would have hurt the "hype" and sales! :eek:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Not sure if Apple promised anything.
What you are missing is Apple being Apple! :p
When the demo video was released I mentioned Apple should have done the old "A" vs "B". The base nMP vs. 3,1 4,1 and 5,1 in real time with real apps! Show the "doors" being blown off the cMP's. Apple did not do this and now you know why. It would have hurt the "hype" and sales! :eek:
lol.. you're talking as if some other computer company could compare their new model to the prior generation and blow its doors off.. as in- you're saying the truth but not using it in a truthful manner (using it to take a stab at apple instead)..

really, the only way computer companies can currently do something like that is through software or new i/o devices..

that's what the latest final cut release does.. on the i/o side, an (currently) exaggerated example would be showing someone thinking at thought and see the paragraph appear on screen..
those blow doors.

sirio76

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2013
Thank you for another "useful" thread, we really need this one too.
Maybe you should grow up and start to work instead of start everyday a new negative thread about the nMP.
Some days ago you opened a thread about the nMP slower than the old one, but fortunately we have some facts: http://www.barefeats.com/tube01.html
Today the nMP is slower than what apple promised, but there are plenty of benchmark reporting big speed improvements specially in those app tuned to take advantage of the new hardware.
What's next?

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
What am I missing?
Maybe you need to learn to read english and check the Mac Pro website and Apple's claims one more time. At no point did they say the CPU performance will be 2X as the last generation. That couldn't be possibly true since Intel didn't magically get twice the performance from a single core over the span of 3 years.

At this point, I have no idea why this poster is still starting threads about nMP.

sidabet

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
UK
What we really need to see are some real world program comparisons between the New Mac Pro, the old Mac pro and iMac.

I would be very interested to see some Final Cut Pro 10.1 results as this program has been optimized for dual GPUs.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
I'm not taking a stab at Apple. I'm in the front row throwing rotten Apples at Apple! If you read what I wrote I said with real apps! Apps=software correct?
FCPX is not a good example of software use without an Apple bias. They rewrote FCPX to work with this nMP. What percentage of the movie industry use FCPX? Not enough for the FCPX demo to have any meaning.

And yes it is quite possible to set up two large screens with timers on them to show which MP is getting it's clock cleaned! Apple just played it safe. Conversely let's see the opposite. Unedited, let someone that loves their nMP post a vid of the performance difference!

I have never written that the nMP should not be produced or that it would not sell. I am saying the whole marketing ploy was/is to put the nMP in a very favoring light. Which Apple has done and is doing.

They were just afraid to put the nMP's A$$ on the line! It's not hating Apple or the nMP, it's seeing BS and mentioning it.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
They were just afraid to put the nMP's A$$ on the line! It's not hating Apple or the nMP, it's seeing BS and mentioning it.
what BS? that a new generation computer doesn't blow the doors off the one that came before? that's not BS, that's the way it is.. in computing in general.

again, you're saying the truth-- i'm not telling you you're not..
it's just that what you're saying has nothing to do with any particular company.

chris.k

macrumors member
May 22, 2013
YSSY
Oh look

It's another MattDSLR thread on the same topic as the past 50 posts and 4 threads he's started.

Give it a rest.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
I think the missing term here is "Mute". Never was in the market and to debate about it is to say the least meaningless! That is the main reason for posting in the nMP parody section. A lighter sided area of the forum!

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I think the missing term here is "Mute". Never was in the market and to debate about it is to say the least meaningless! That is the main reason for posting in the nMP parody section. A lighter sided area of the forum!
i'm making one for that thread right now :)

andrewbee

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
All benchmark figures quoted on apple's website are based on the highest specced nMP configurations. If you go to the performance page, you will see the following small print to clarify their scores.

This is why the numbers have the marketing phrase "up to" preceding them which means to achieve those numbers, you will have to flock out some serious cash to get their highest configuration option.:apple: investors->:D

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I think we have posters here that need to find a hobby and get a life for pete's sake.

The nMP uses the Intel processors that are available to put in workstation and server-classed computers. The computers are not going to get faster via the CPU (in the near future, barring new discoveries and/or paradigm changes), improvement will come via parallel processing and GPGPUs.

Apple has decided to set a trend with their cylinder, the thermal core and OpenCL. Since they are a technology leader, they hope to influence developers to tune their software to be OpenCL friendly so that the full potential of the cylinder can be reached.

It is innovative engineering and a marketing gamble. We will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.