New Mac to debut during Superbowl !!!

MediaHound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
Isn't it obvious? All this time spent debating MWSF, or is it Seybold or MWNY. People, the answer to all of our questions is coming February 3rd! Lets put this to rest once and for all. My "new Mac" money is burning a hole in my pocket. Go PATS!

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Superbowl??

What the hell? why would they pick the superbowl date to announce the new power mac? that is stupidest thing I have ever heard...but I could be wrong...

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by macaddict123k
the famous 1984 commercial first ran during the superbowl. So there is a small chance
Yea, but the ad was about Apple IIRC, not a product announcement. The superbowl would be best served with an iMac commercial, as that would be the majority crowd watching, consumers.

spikeorama

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2002
What are you talking about? The 1984 commercial was the "product announcement" for the orginal macintosh.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
it would be clever....but I feel it's more wishful thinking than anything else...

the 1984 commercial was an insanely big deal because it was the release of the Macintosh.....I can't imagine Apple spending that much money to introduce a new generation of professional line towers....

do u have any idea how much that ad would cost?

mac_airport

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2002
palo alto, california
well, a super bowl costs 'big bucks'...here is a quote from the wall street journal yesterday:

"Thus far, Fox has charged advertisers as little as $1.5 million per 30-second spot, compared with the $2 million Viacom's CBS was pulling in for some commercials for last year's game."

$1.5 million or more for a 30-second ad buy to promote a new powermac?...not a wise financial move in my opinion...not likely either given the 'bad taste' left at many tech firms about prior super bowl ad buys in '99, '00, and '01 by now-failed 'dot-coms'...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
the damned iWalk...

u are lucky it's late and I need to be awake in 5 hours....

or else I'd club u like a baby seal!!!

I hope u know, of course, I'm just kidding....

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
apple 1984 movie

I found a copy of the 1984 commercial on geocities.

http://www.geocities.com/applemovie

These public sites have a traffic cap on them so if
everybody goes it might shut off.

But the idea that apple might release something
on superbowl sunday, is exciting. But I doubt
Steve will repeat himself. Besides, someone already
said that that slot would be reserved for the new imac.
That computer is really nice. I'm a pro user and I would
still like that thing.

Fill it to the rim with Brim..dude

evanmarx

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: the damned iWalk...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
u are lucky it's late and I need to be awake in 5 hours....

or else I'd club u like a baby seal!!!

I hope u know, of course, I'm just kidding....
I want an iWalk! I have been looing at getting a PDA for some time now and kept telling my self that if Apple put out one... I would grab it in a second. Now Im worried that if I get a Palm I will hate my self if Apple puts one out later and I cant justify spending the cash on another one.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
only rumors

Originally posted by networkman
maybe they may announce something but if it is the faster powermac, i was expecting that yesterday
You and alot of others were expecting something yesterday ONLY because you guys read some uncertified information on some rumor sites.
That's the facts.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I wouldn't call Macuser an uncertified source -

They claim that the whole announcement of a faster Power Mac lineup will be a minor press release. I'd tend to agree - after all, Professional users who need the raw power of the Souped-up Towers know exactly what they want. The G4 iMac launch was/is big because it's designed to target the "Great Unwashed"; the unknowing public who need to be coaxed in the general direction of Apple with a mighty tasty carrot.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: theranch

I sent you a privat message about your email that you sent me about the iSub. I am only telling you this becuse it looks like your new arround here and I dont know how much you now about the bord. I tried to email you back but your user prefrences wont let me and the email that you posted is not good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.