New Mac user here, and a question regarding window resizing

steveg56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002
san ramon, ca
Why do i have to resize all my windows everytime i open an application, I would think it would go back to the way i left it the last time it was open. Is there a way to save previous window size?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
depends on what applications you are running. For the Finder, if it doesn't work, set it how you want, logout and login. That SHOULD fix it.

Other programs, such as OmniWeb, have a save window size option under one of the menus.

Comment

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i am pretty sure most apps store it in a prefs file of some sort or another.

sometimes i've had this issue too, but i think it's the app itself...

you could also just try trashing prefs, though you shouldn't NEED to...

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What applications are you refering to? Is it all, or just one in particular. Most times, the windows for the apps I use revert to the last size they were when I quit the application.

Comment

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by steveg56
Mostly the finder and IE are the two most used programs that i have noticed.
I have seen that happen with IE... Typically after a pop-up window has shown up, and then you go to open a new window. If you force quit IE and relaunch it, that also sometimes happens. Otherwise, every time I launch IE, it brings up the window size and position that I was in when I quit it before. I typically run with more then two windows at work (on OS 9.2.2) and usually have only two or three at home (under OS X 10.1.4). Most of the time, the finder keeps the same position and size. I do not recall the last time it didn't do that.

Comment

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
this makes me happy!

I am so pleased to have someone bring up this issue because its been driving me crazy in osx.
I cant get my IE windows size to be remembered either!
i wantfull screen net page viewing, but have to resize ever time, so irritating!
I would think that the plus bubble would fill the screen but it only opens the pane to a certain length,
To be honest I see little logic to the Plus bubbles method.
I would love to hear a detailed explaination!

Comment

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
mach-o builds are still too buggy for me to recommend them. if they are going to be buggy, then they need to be as good as Chimera. as far as OW goes. I use it every once in a while, but its just not fast enough.

Comment

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
To get the Finder to remember window positions, you don't have to log out and in. What you have to do is this:

1. Open a new window (you can't use one you've been working with)
2. Without opening any folders (no not navigate the filesystem), set your window the way you want it.
3. Close the window.

From now on, all your Finder windows will be the same (they will shift down and to the right if you open more than one though, for convenience).

It's a sucky method, but that;s how it is. I hope it is improved upon.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.