Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I recently bought a macbook air from someone, but when I turned it on, I came to the log in screen, and cannot get past this, because I do not know the previous owners password.

It is a macbook air running maveriks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You don't need a password to erase and reinstall OS X (which you should do with a Mac, and you don't know how the software might have been mistreated. )
You'll lose all files and third party software that might have still been installed, but you'll end up with a fresh OS X system, same as out-of-the-box new.

Start up the "new" Macbook Air, while holding Command + R.
Choose Disk Utility, from the menu that you get.
Choose your hard drive, and click the Erase menu.
And, continue with erasing the hard drive.
When that completes, Quit Disk Utility, and click Reinstall OS X.
You'll need to be connected to the internet to complete the install, which will restart automatically, and take most of an hour before you can use your Macbook Air. You'll go through a short set up for your user account, and you're back in business
(Hope it wasn't a stolen system :D If you can't do ANY of this without it asking for a password, then you may have an EFI password set, and you have to take to an Apple service center, or a "genius" to clear that - there's no other options.)

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
well, I already turned the laptop on, I tried to hit the shut down button, and from the log in screen, but it will not let me do anything, without the password, it was giving me a password hint, but this is useless, I don't know.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
The previous poster gave you everything you need to know. Hold down the power button for 10 secs or so to reboot the laptop.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I e mailed the seller, they did not reply, but I followed delta Macs directions, downloaded maverick and installed it, and have it up and running and registered to me.

thanks for the directions.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Seems you got a Mac from a questionable source, if they wouldn't tell you the password or have it cleaned themselves.

When I sold my older MBP, I took care to reinstall the original OS X and bought and install MS Office as the buyer wanted it.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
actually, I just got a reply back from them with the password, so it seeks ok now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.