New Macbook C2D 2.26ghz 2GB Ram, Upgrade to 4GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redlude97, May 27, 2010.

1. redlude97 macrumors newbie

My parents just bout my sister a macbook for school, the 2.26ghz unibody macbook with 2 gb of ram. I've done some research which has been somewhat mixed on if the upgrade is worth it. She will mostly use it for internet, office, dvd/internet streaming, music etc. I am also planning on installing windows xp sp2 on it, but haven't decided if I will use bootcamp or one of the VMs. My understanding is that for VM 4gb is definitely necessary for acceptable performance, and also for multitasking. So would it be worth it to upgrade her new macbook to 4GB? I don't have much experience with macs so I'm unsure of the memory utilization for various processes in OSX

2. silenahilena macrumors member

3. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Honestly,I have the same MacBook and I do all of what she does and more and I do it all on 2GB of ram.I'm a major muiti-tasker.I could only use 4GB of ram for my Virtualbox VM's and my Windows XP bootcamp.But, I still do it all on 2GB of ram.

4. waynema macrumors member

I have an extra set of Apple 4GB ram laying around from my Macbook pro, pm me if you are interested.

5. miicah macrumors regular

If it's for a non-poweruser 2gb is probably fine. I bought 4gb for mine and even as an IT student it's probably overkill (but better to be safe than sorry)

6. luiso455 macrumors newbie

Do it, RAM is very cheap these days, and its worth the speed upgrade. You can never go wrong on upgrading RAM unless money is a big issue.

7. AE50P macrumors newbie

AE50P

I would, its not extremely expensive and more RAM is always a good thing. Although, if you don't, it's not a huge deal. Im a student and I can run word, itunes, a browser, text edit, and several preview windows perfectly fine on 2gb of RAM. Good luck