Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New MacBook kernel panics

alberti82

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
When putting the computer to sleep, I was experiencing the kernel panic as many others here.
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8013c16487): "IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00::setPowerState(0xffffff80757007e0 : 0xffffff7f944c1236, 4 -> 0) timed out after 101954 ms"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-6153.101.6/iokit/Kernel/IOServicePM.cpp:5296
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

As other people have already suggested, I disabled powernap, followed the procedure to reset the SMC (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295), rebooted, and then activated powernap again. I don't know whether disabling powernap was necessary at all, but it took about 10 extra seconds to do so. Since a couple of days, the problem has gone.

Comment

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Same problems on my brand new 16" (kernel panic waking up from sleep when connected to TB3 dock). Following some of the advice here, I:

1) Disabled PowerNap entirely (but left sleep mode enabled when plugged in)
2) Disabled Wake on Wireless Activity
3) Turned on "Do Not Disturb" for (a) display asleep; (b) screen locked.

Haven't seen a KP since doing this yesterday, where before it would KP waking up from sleep every time. (Knocks on wood.). What an absolutely garbage Mac OS X release.

Comment

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Today morning my 16" MacBook Pro had a kernel panic when I woke it up from standby. I disabled PowerNap again and re-enabled it, but clearly, this is definitely not a long term solution, but just a workaround while waiting for a fix from Apple.

Comment

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Two kernel panics and restarts in a row, during use. First one seems to be related to Thunderbolt power management. The second one is: panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff01b66f7b4): x86 CPU CATERR detected

Comment

ascender

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2005
I received my base 16" yesterday and have been getting this kernel panic issue every time I've left the laptop plugged-in for a period of time. Is kind of a relief to find this thread (and others), so have disabled power nap to see if that helps.

What's weird is that we've had two 16" in the team for a while and neither exhibit this issue.

Does anybody know what the main thread for this issue is please? I've searched for "kernel panic sleep" on here but get about 25 pages of results.

Comment

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
I received my base 16" yesterday and have been getting this kernel panic issue every time I've left the laptop plugged-in for a period of time. Is kind of a relief to find this thread (and others), so have disabled power nap to see if that helps.

What's weird is that we've had two 16" in the team for a while and neither exhibit this issue.

Does anybody know what the main thread for this issue is please? I've searched for "kernel panic sleep" on here but get about 25 pages of results.

Turn off power nap and you’re good.

Tbh I’m not a fan of the feature anyway. It causes the Mac to fully wake up when it’s being carried around or at home - and it uses a lot of power. I don’t give a rat’s behind if I got an email at 2 am while I’m asleep.

Reactions: me55 and obargy
Comment

alberti82

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
When putting the computer to sleep, I was experiencing the kernel panic as many others here.

As other people have already suggested, I disabled powernap, followed the procedure to reset the SMC (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295), rebooted, and then activated powernap again. I don't know whether disabling powernap was necessary at all, but it took about 10 extra seconds to do so. Since a couple of days, the problem has gone.

Unfortunately I jumped to conclusions too fast. After a few days, the same problem occurred again. This time powernap is completely disabled and yet the computer crashes overnight while sleeping. If this is relevant, I have an external HDMI monitor connected (which I switch off during nighttime but leave it connected) and a few USB-C and USB3 devices connected to my Mac Mini. I am running Catalina 10.15.4.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
You have a computer that is defective. So call Apple and ask them how to exchange it for a new computer. There's no point trying to solve the problem when Apple should solve it by taking that computer back and giving you a different one.

Reactions: lugworm and me55
Comment

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
You have a computer that is defective. So call Apple and ask them how to exchange it for a new computer. There's no point trying to solve the problem when Apple should solve it by taking that computer back and giving you a different one.

Except that pretty much anyone who’s had their computer exchanged still has the problem.

Apple also won’t just replace a computer for no discernible reason. If their hardware diagnostics doesn’t show an issue, they’ll send you home and ask you to re-install.

Reactions: crouch
Comment

vahram_sf

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
Hi all! My first post on this forum lol. Just upgraded from 2016 13" mbp to a 16. Received the computer today from adorama.
The same exact issue happened to me twice already.
Turned off power nap. Will follow the thread and also keep you updated on the status.

Comment

woogington

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Hello everyone, thanks for all the posts so far, glad to hear I'm not alone with this issue.

Thought I'd add my experience so far. Noticed my new MBP 16inch that I received in February had been crashing randomly, kernel panics when I left it in sleep mode. Called Support, they ran me through a bunch of resets and made me start a new user account - all to no avail. I made a record of every crash and noted whether the machine was pugged into an external display, what programs were running etc - no pattern as far as I could tell.

Had to do a completely fresh install yesterday and again, opened the machine to find it had crashed again later in the afternoon.

Got onto support again and they said I'd have to take it into an authorised 3rd party service centre to get it checked out. I argued that I shouldn't be expected to travel into central London to get this expensive laptop fixed, that they should at least offer to cover the cost of getting it couriered and they refused.

I checked with the authorised service centre and they said there would be a 10-14 day turnaround - I can't do my work without a laptop for two weeksI then suggested I should be able to send it back for a replacement and again, they refused, saying it needed to be certified as defective. All very annoying but they wouldn't budge - just kept blaming the coronavirus.

Reading this thread I don't think new hardware would necessarily fix the issue but it's still frustrating they don't want to try and help.

I'm now going to try the power nap solution... Fingers crossed.

Comment

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
In any case, do not replace it, return it so you get a refund and order a new one. This way you get another 14 days to decide if you keep it or not. If you get a replacement your 14 days run out from the moment you received/bought the initial unit and you’ll be stuck in the repair cycle.

Reactions: me55 and simonmet
Comment

Callum MacDonald

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Received my 16" MacBook Pro on Monday. From Tuesday onwards it's been crashing with the same symptoms discussed here. disabled Power Nap, reset the SMC and I've now disabled Automatic Graphics Switching to see if that will solve the problem.

Comment

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Latest 10.15.5 beta (19F94a) does not fix the issue. Just woke up to a KP:

"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800e89160c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x20575.\nBacktracing specified thread\nBacktrace (CPU 0),

Comment

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Latest 10.15.5 beta (19F94a) does not fix the issue. Just woke up to a KP:

"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800e89160c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x20575.\nBacktracing specified thread\nBacktrace (CPU 0),
That sucks, I am running this version number as well and re-enabled Power Nap to test if it was fixed, so far so good two nights in a row here.

Comment

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
That sucks, I am running this version number as well and re-enabled Power Nap to test if it was fixed, so far so good two nights in a row here.

What is your setup? I’m plugged into an OWC Thunderbolt Dock Pro, which has the external monitor plugged into it.

Comment

Callum MacDonald

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Reset SMC following the Apple support article and today I've been disconnected from my Elgato TB3 dock and LG 5K display and this machine has been perfect. No crashes, no fans spinning in anger and a temperature of 53 degrees. It would appear this machine is a soloist which does not like being tethered to other device?

Comment

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Reset SMC following the Apple support article and today I've been disconnected from my Elgato TB3 dock and LG 5K display and this machine has been perfect. No crashes, no fans spinning in anger and a temperature of 53 degrees. It would appear this machine is a soloist which does not like being tethered to other device?
Latest public beta build of 10.15.5 has so far solved all of my issues.

Comment

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
I experienced KPs the first 2 days after I picked up my 16”, grant it, I immediately updated to OS X .4 from .3 right after setting it up so I couldn’t rule out whether .4 introduced this issue. However and magically, after day 2 and to date I’ve yet to experience another KP. This is with power nap enabled with the device charging.

Not sure what happened but for a solid 3 days I’m KP free.

Comment

woogington

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Quick update - turned off power nap (haven't reset SMC) and have had zero issues for the past three days

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.