Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I have a few questions...

1)Should I buy a New MacBook, 2.16ghz, 2gb Ram, 120gb(or 160gb) Hard-Drive, or a Refurbished MacBook or Blackbook with those same specs, OR a Refurbished, 2.2ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb Hardrive MacBook Pro??

2)If you say the refurbished MBP or MB\BB, should I get it now, and buy leopard later for the extra $130, OR should I wait until after leopard is released, and buy a refurbished macbook\pro with leopard??

-The Refurb MBP = $1,500 + $120 Tax, (Down from $2,000) + $130 For Leopard
-The Refurb MB = $999 + $80 Tax, (Down from $1,300) + $130 For Leopard *This Will be $100 Cheaper then Waiting and Buying a New MB*
-The New MB = $1,300 (My dad can get $50 off + No Tax)

WHAT I WILL BE DOING:
-Chatting (iChat, MSN, AIM)
-Using the Internet
-Schoolwork
-Listening to Music
-Using iLife to it's fullest extent
-Playing Games (If I get the macbook, I will be playing halo, if I get the pro I will play call of duty2)

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
If you are considering waiting, that means you probably can, and with the amount of money raised, seems you probably have to anyway. I'd say wait, save that money from having to buy leopard, and by that time the refurb srs will be out like you mentioned and that will drop the prices of the current models even more... so you could get a 2.16 C2D MBP for probably about 1349 or 1399 (how much my CD was refurb after the second gen came out, so i'd assume about that much of a drop hopefully) and then it would only cost you 1400 or whanot for a great long lasting MacbookPro that could handle all your games as well as all your other stuff, and the larger screen is nice for games and working with ilife too... and better for color and you have a choice for matte in that as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
If you are considering waiting, that means you probably can, and with the amount of money raised, seems you probably have to anyway. I'd say wait, save that money from having to buy leopard, and by that time the refurb srs will be out like you mentioned and that will drop the prices of the current models even more... so you could get a 2.16 C2D MBP for probably about 1349 or 1399 (how much my CD was refurb after the second gen came out, so i'd assume about that much of a drop hopefully) and then it would only cost you 1400 or whanot for a great long lasting MacbookPro that could handle all your games as well as all your other stuff, and the larger screen is nice for games and working with ilife too... and better for color and you have a choice for matte in that as well.

Just my 2 cents.

well money really isn't an issue, because my dad says he will loan me w\e is left that I need for the macbook\pro... Sooo... yeah, but I might do what you recommended, thanks!:D

interairproxima

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
I would recommend the Refurb. 2.2 ghz MBP, and I would tell you to buy it now, coz there are still almost 3 months till Leopard. But I can't see how you'll get the refurb 2.2 ghz MBPs, i dont see them on the website...

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I would recommend the Refurb. 2.2 ghz MBP, and I would tell you to buy it now, coz there are still almost 3 months till Leopard. But I can't see how you'll get the refurb 2.2 ghz MBPs, i dont see them on the website...

I'm thinking the 2.2's and 2.4's should start appearing on the refurb page in a week or two. Heck of a nice machine and I've had great luck with the refurbs... Only you can know if it's worth waiting another 3 months to save $129 on Leopard. Oh, and I think that Amazon usually has a rebate on it for $30 for the first couple of months. And I think that Apple will sell it on launch day for $99 as well.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I recommend the refurbished macbook pro, thats what I'm going to do. I'd say buy it now and get lepord when it comes out, again thats my plan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.