new macbook pro 13.3 fell from my couch onto a hardwood floor UPDATE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjsbass, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rjsbass macrumors member

how do i tell if my computer is damaged??

update: no external dings or hardware damage according to the program that i ran

but now unfortunately there is resistance when opening the lid of the computer from the body of the computer. the left side scrapes against the lid when opening. should i return the computer or is this a common occurrence that people get with macbooks that i may have gotten without the fall anyway?

darn. besides this hinge issue, this thing is nearly invincible

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Dropped my 15inch MBP two nights ago also, was onto carpetted floor though.. seems fine..

3. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Ouch! That had to hurt!
    The only way i know of checking if all your hardware is working is to go to Apple>About this mac>More info> Then scroll down the list. If something is missing and it shouldnt, chances are its damaged.
    Hope this helps.

4. CurbsEnthusiasm macrumors newbie

Put Disc 1 of the DVDs that came with your computer in the optical drive then hold down "D" for the AHT (Apple Hardware Test)...

Or you could use the free TechTools Deluxe by searching for it on Apples support site.

Apple Service Diagnostics would be better then both but AHT and TechTools can at least give you a basic hardware test to make sure everything is functioning properly.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Couple of years ago I dropped a 20" G5 iMac.

It slid off a table top down to a hardwood floor. When I got around to where it was laying it was LCD down and you could tell the back case separated. Expecting the worse I picked it up and flipped it over.

WOW the LCD was not physically damaged.

I had to disassemble the back completely from the case and reassemble. WHen doing this it became apparent that the frame was very slighty bent on the corner that made initial impact. Still it went together as it should. I sat it upright and knew the next test would be to apply power.

Well I inserted the power cord and nothing flamed up. Next I pushed the power button, after waiting what seemed like an eternity it began to show signs of life.

Used it for another two years after that with no problems!!!

I think you may be fine, after all the sofa height is not as high as my desk is. ( assuming it fell from the seating area and not an arm! )

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Amazing story. I wouldnt know what i would do if i dropped my iMac and broke it completely. You got really lucky man.

7. fpnc macrumors 68000

You don't need the DVD for the latest MacBooks. To run Apple's Hardware Test you can just hold down on the "D" key while booting from the hard drive.

8. rjsbass thread starter macrumors member

Update

Ok,

I notice that whenever I open the lid there is some resistance against the body. In other words, the lid scrapes against the body when I open the computer. THis only happens on the left side

Could this be fixed...or is it just a normal occurrence with some computers?

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Okay, well it sounds like the lid, which is made of very thin aluminum, was bent in the fall from you couch. Then, the precision made fittings were bent a little, and therefore now scrapes against the casing when the lid is moved. Too bad AppleCare doesn't care anything that you yourself have done.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... some of use ain't so lucky!

You folks are all so lucky! Unfortunately some of us ain't so lucky. Cause I once accidentally dropped a two week old PowerBook 15" 1Ghz from my window, I can tell you it didn't glide like a bird, even though it was open. Instead it fell like a anvil!!.. Kinda landed, shattered to oblivion!!

Guess it's not made to fall twenty-three flights... I was gutted!:(:(

11. fpar macrumors regular

^^^ I saw that happen to someone on youtube, hope you had it insured. As for the OP,you could get it insured then repaired. Its technically fraud but it shod work and is allot cheaper than a new display module, good luck.