new macbook pro EFI update breaks youtube / vimeo fullscreen mode in safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spacefrodo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. spacefrodo macrumors newbie

i've got a mid 2010 core i5 macbook pro and after i updated the EFI firmware, i cannot watch youtube or vimeo in fullscreen on safari ...it tries to load the fullscreen mode but a fraction of a second later it's back to normal mode (i can see hardware growler report both switches)...

i can however switch off the automatic dynamic switching in system preferences, in which case it will load in fullscreen, same when i force the nvidia only mode with gfxCardstatus

it's also strange that i have no problems in firefox, i also downgraded flash player so it's not flash related, fullscreen movies in vlc or quicktime also obviously don't give problems...

curious to hear if this problem is more widespread or if anyone has tips or solutions?

2. jimba macrumors newbie

I'm about to install the firmware as well..have you tried the html5 youtube version?

3. spacefrodo thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i did, but since it's imbedded in the browser i cannot compare with true fullscreen...though the imbedded html5 "fullscreen" obviously works

4. Novaoblivion macrumors member

Hmm I installed the firmware update last night and after reading this I just checked both sites to see if I had the same problem. Both of them were able to play fullscreen just like before, both SD & HD content. My system is the i7 version though so maybe that makes some kind of difference?

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

1080p works fine for me (on latest firms). I can even play HD in a seperate screen and do something on the main screen simultaneously. I don't think I could do that before :D

6. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

wut? how does one gain access to this magical, non-overheating youtube?

7. mdnz macrumors regular

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Use the same page to switch back to Flash.