New Macbook Pro. How can I ensure a long lifetime of my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Caps4Cup, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Caps4Cup macrumors newbie

I've had my macbook for about 3 months and it seems like it can already only last about 3-4 hours. Way off the 8 hours advertised. I tried turning down the screen brightness and everything but i can't seem to solve it. What can I do? Is this normal?

I'm just trying to make sure this battery stays "healthy?" for a few years.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't. Battery life is dependent on usage. You are better of using your machine how you want to instead of wasting your time worrying about your battery's health.

4. XandeR803 macrumors member

+1. Just use it.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Use it and forget it. That's what works best.

6. daftpunkstu macrumors member

Charge it to 100% then run it to below 5% regularly, i've found performing full battery cycles seem to extend the length of my device [​IMG]

7. Chasel macrumors newbie

No it doesn't.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not necessary and uses extra cycles needlessly. You can charge or discharge your battery any time, for any duration. There is no need to drain it to any certain percentage before recharging.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This.

...and yes, more charge cycles will shorten the life of your battery. You can basically either use your MBP or worry about prolonging the life of the battery.

10. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

And if you really only get 3-4 hours, take it to an Apple store and get it checked out. They should either fix the problem or replace the battery.

11. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Didn't Apple start using some tech that intelligently charged and discharged each cell appropriately to extend battery life? I believe it was introduced when the 17" MBP got the non replaceable battery. If correct, this should render the traditional battery-care methods unnecessary.

12. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

forget

forget about it, use it as much as you want, it's the best way, don't you worry about the life of the battery, apple takes cares of it. It's one of the best batteries I know, I have my computer since november last year and the health of my battery stills at 99%! :D

Cumps :apple: