New macbook pro, should i get insurance? does anyone have any experience with it?

ZacCucinotta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hello all,
I got a new macbook pro today (i needed it now so waiting for a new one was not an option) and was contemplating getting insurance for it. i found some places online that will cover it for a couple years for like 3-400 dollars. does anyone have any experience with laptop insurance? the big thing i'm wondering is if my laptop does fail, will i be able to get a brand new one, or will they mail me a check for 2500, or will they compensate for the laptop being a year old and only give me like 1000. i have applecare, but i'd like the extra peace of mind, and i like the idea that i could get the newest model of macbook pro whenever mine breaks.

megamouse

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
Just got my MBP recently, as you did. I was thinking the same option - going for an extra insurance - although I have got Apple Care with it.

I am thinking to get a new deal on my house insurance soon, and will put my laptop as a all-risk item. That should cover it and comes relatively cheaper than a stand-along insurance policy. :rolleyes:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Yep home insurance and renters insurance are alot cheaper than standard insurance and they have pretty good coverage.

patcase86

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Still be careful with home owners insurance though. I got my laptop stolen and my deductable was $1000. Also, they offer a 'full replacement' policy, but they depriciated my laptop and then will give me that depriciated amount when I get a new laptop, within 6 months. Confusing? Yes... let an example speak:

My BlackBook got stolen (along with backpack, TI89, pencils, pens, etc) and I got $600 from the insurance (after deductable). They said my BlackBook was only worth $1200, even though I bought it for $1500 6 months before. They will pay me that $300 depriciation when I get a new laptop (which I just ordered 2 days ago :D!).

Anyways, be careful with you stuff, but I recommend getting insurance for it.

msprouls

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
Still be careful with home owners insurance though. I got my laptop stolen and my deductable was $1000. Also, they offer a 'full replacement' policy, but they depriciated my laptop and then will give me that depriciated amount when I get a new laptop, within 6 months. Confusing? Yes... let an example speak:

My BlackBook got stolen (along with backpack, TI89, pencils, pens, etc) and I got $600 from the insurance (after deductable). They said my BlackBook was only worth $1200, even though I bought it for $1500 6 months before. They will pay me that $300 depriciation when I get a new laptop (which I just ordered 2 days ago :D!).

Anyways, be careful with you stuff, but I recommend getting insurance for it.
Thank you!!!

After reading your post I thought I better call my insurance company to verify coverage and sure enough home owners covers it with a $1,000 deductible plus it's depreciated.

Anyway State Farm has a personal item add on policy that covers replacement cost for accidental loss/damage and theft plus it follows me international. I put my camera and laptop on for $63.00 a year. My Laptop is a MBP 2.5, camera is a Nikon D80 kit

azharc

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
I also just got my MBP, and AppleCare, but I'm getting insurance instead of theft (hey, for a $3000 system its worth it).

I got mine via the APA (Advertising Photographers of America) - they have a special deal for photography students :) insures all your gadgets and rented equip.