New macbook pro to external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DRMU, Mar 8, 2017.

1. DRMU macrumors newbie

hi guys,

Need some help connecting me new macbook pro to my external monitor.

I bought the apple adapter that has usbc to usb, thunderbolt and hdmi.

Connected my hdmi cable on one side to the macbook( through the adapter) while the cable on the other side is a displayport, thus connecting it to the external monitor. (The monitor also has a digial port and vga)

Its not working, not sure why its somehow flashing the screen but nothing happens to the external monitor. When i connect it to my tv which hdmi-hdmi it works great.

Anyone had a similar case?

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I had the same issue with my Dell 34" monitor paired with my new MBP and the same adapter. Switching to an HDMI to HDMI cable solved the problem. For some reason the displayport seemed to be the issue.

3. DRMU thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi their,

Thenx for the reply. Well my monitor does only have a DVI, VGA and Display Port.

So today i just tried this:

USB-c Adapter to HDMI ----> to DVI ---> monitor

again its not working. Any help anyone?

4. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

HDMI to DP will not work. However, your second attempt seems more likely to work. HDMI and DVI are closely related from what I understand. That should work, but apparently not.

I think your best bet is to go with a DP adapter and not try to mix standards. I don't recall if Apple has one, but no big deal as there are lots of 3rd party ones. DP is a superior standard too, albeit less common. mDP adapter and mDP to DP cable is what you are looking for and it should work perfectly. The Apple adapters have their drawbacks so don't assume they are better because of the branding.