New Macbook Pro - what to do about the lack of an SD Card slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kathyricks, Oct 15, 2018.

1. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Best Buy couldn't answer this elementary question. I want to know the simplest, plug and play IDIOTPROOF and economical solution to Apple's failure to provide an SD Card slot. Thanks. (Searched archives and couldn't find answers)

2. AnotherSoftwareEngineer macrumors newbie

3. SDColorado, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

Any USB-C to SD reader will work. I am surprised Best Buy didn’t know since they sell both Macs and even their own store brand solution (Insignia).

In use one like this because I plug it in to both USB-C and USB-A on a couple of different devices.

Vanja SD/Micro SD Card Reader, USB Type C Micro USB OTG Adapter and USB 2.0 Portable Memory Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Cards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JJ1VDQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BVvXBb4KJZ83J

4. Freyqq macrumors 601

Type in Amazon "USB C + SD card reader." Any will do.

5. jerryk macrumors 68040

Get one of the many combo SD/micro SD/ USB 3/HDMI to USB-C adapters on Amazon. One of these handles about 95% of my needs. The only other adapter I use with any frequency is a USB-C to Ethernet. And if I wanted to I could get a combo with SD/micro SD/ USB 3/HDMI and Ethernet. I don't because I don't like the bulk it adds and uses Ethernet infrequently.

6. Howard2k macrumors 65816

Howard2k

Buy a second used 2015 MBPro and carry that with you at the same time. Any time you need to access the SD just fire up the second MBPro and then airdrop the files across.

Or a dongle.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just buy a dongle, that's what I did ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. fuchsdh macrumors 65816

fuchsdh

Besides the dongle answers, you can just use the card in the host device depending on what your use case is. To me using the SD slot in the old MBPs wasn't really any faster than plugging in a USB cable to transfer from my camera, for instance.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Buy a card reader with a USB-c connector.
    Problem... solved.

10. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502

tomscott1988

11. Brammy macrumors 65816

As an aside, is there an SD card reader that works with both USB-C and USB-A?

12. AppleHaterLover Suspended

That would get old pretty quick

13. kathyricks thread starter macrumors 6502

14. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

The Vanja one I linked to does. I bought it to use between a MBP and Surface Pro. It also does both SD and Micro SD cards.

Edit: Also does Micro-USB if you have a camera that supports it.

15. Brammy macrumors 65816

16. kokako macrumors regular

It's not a failure, wasted space, it's a MacBook Pro, there's are other cards now, pros will be shooting on pro cameras which take CFAST, Compact Flash, makes no sense and having an SD card slot, not a failure by any means - lots of adapters available cheap too.