New Macbook Pro - what to do about the lack of an SD Card slot?

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Best Buy couldn't answer this elementary question. I want to know the simplest, plug and play IDIOTPROOF and economical solution to Apple's failure to provide an SD Card slot. Thanks. (Searched archives and couldn't find answers)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Best Buy couldn't answer this elementary question. I want to know the simplest, plug and play IDIOTPROOF and economical solution to Apple's failure to provide an SD Card slot. Thanks. (Searched archives and couldn't find answers)
Any USB-C to SD reader will work. I am surprised Best Buy didn’t know since they sell both Macs and even their own store brand solution (Insignia).

In use one like this because I plug it in to both USB-C and USB-A on a couple of different devices.

Vanja SD/Micro SD Card Reader, USB Type C Micro USB OTG Adapter and USB 2.0 Portable Memory Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Cards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JJ1VDQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BVvXBb4KJZ83J

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Get one of the many combo SD/micro SD/ USB 3/HDMI to USB-C adapters on Amazon. One of these handles about 95% of my needs. The only other adapter I use with any frequency is a USB-C to Ethernet. And if I wanted to I could get a combo with SD/micro SD/ USB 3/HDMI and Ethernet. I don't because I don't like the bulk it adds and uses Ethernet infrequently.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Buy a second used 2015 MBPro and carry that with you at the same time. Any time you need to access the SD just fire up the second MBPro and then airdrop the files across.

Or a dongle.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2014
Besides the dongle answers, you can just use the card in the host device depending on what your use case is. To me using the SD slot in the old MBPs wasn't really any faster than plugging in a USB cable to transfer from my camera, for instance.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
As an aside, is there an SD card reader that works with both USB-C and USB-A?

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
It's not a failure, wasted space, it's a MacBook Pro, there's are other cards now, pros will be shooting on pro cameras which take CFAST, Compact Flash, makes no sense and having an SD card slot, not a failure by any means - lots of adapters available cheap too.

Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.