New MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6 instead of 10.6.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artmuzz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

Yesterday I finally picked up my new MacBook Pro from PC world and unpacked it to find that it came with Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6. Surely it should of been Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2 instead of 10.6 considering I ordered it last week and picked it up yesterday. I had to update to 10.6.2 through Apple software update though.

Are there any Mac products that come with the Snow Leopard 10.6.2 restore dvds or do they only come with the Snow Leopard 10.6 dvds?

Please advise

Art

2. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Right now they still come with 10.6.2, and Apple's SL Disks are 10.6

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So am I right in saying that my brand new MacBook Pro was packed when Snow Leopard first came out hence only getting the SL 10.6 discs in the box?

Please advise

Art

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

If the update form 10.6 to 10.6.2 is free, you can just do it through Software Update when you need to re-install.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. This is how it is for a while... even "new" units with Leopard had to be updated from software update for a while until they started shipping with 10.5.6 or whatever it was.

6. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Just do a software update. Not that big of a deal.

Congratulations on your Mac.

iDisk

:apple:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No big deal, apple continually updates OSX and it takes time for the disk images to be updated, and included in new MBPs. 10.6.x updates are free, just run the software update and you'll download the latest and greatest updates.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Could be worst u could have brought a vista laptop and spent the best part of the day updating it. Hell win7 isn't much better.

9. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

My refurb MacBook Pro I only got last week also had 10.6 on it. A quick 600MB download had it up to 10.6.2

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

A lot depends on when the laptop was built and how long it sat in storage at the reseller. 3rd party resellers tend to have older stock, so it's not surprising you'd get 10.6 base.

11. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

The reason it came with 10.6 is likely due to the fact you bought it on PC World. They have backlogs of computers usually.
    Just like it took a while for all of their stock to have Vista SP2 on it, when SP2 was launched.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Just because a software update is released, doesn't mean that the computer you buy will magically have that installed.

All new shipping Macs will have OS X 10.6.2. Retailers will have a backlog of stock, some that have probably been there since Snow Leopard was released. No biggie..

13. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Congrats on your machine, and just run the software update. If APL made new discs every time an update came out can you imagine how many discs we would have in a library?

14. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

According to Coconut Battery, my brand new MacBook Pro which I bought last week from PC world is 3 months old. So as suggested here my MacBook Pro has been in storage for 3 months in the PC world warehouse:eek: So I have paid the full brand new price for a 3 month old machine :eek:

This cannot be good on the built in battery. Which leads me to...

Another thing that is bugging me is that the Battery icon on the menu bar cannot decide how long I have until I need to recharge it. One minute when I check it tells me I have 5h.44 remaing then it is 6h.01 remaining then it is 2h.34 remaining then it is back up to 5h.44 remaining:confused:

Art

15. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

"Hey, Pete, Artmuzz just ordered a laptop, better start building that batterypack now"

What do you expect? Of course the components are going to be made a few weeks / months in advance. Apple doesn't 'make' the battery packs. Even the semiconductor manufacturers build things in batches (often leading to 18-26 week lead times if you need to buy a reel of components), so yes, stuff is built in advance.

Ah, I see that you don't have 10.6.4 with new AppleClairvoyance (TM) installed, which actually can see into the future and *predict* what you'll be running on your computer so that I can update the Battery Gauge to be completely accurate.

16. makinao macrumors regular

Seriously, CHILL!

The latest models of MBPs were initially released in July of 2009. If yours is 3 months old as of yesterday, then that means it left the factory sometime October. MacBooks (like many other computers of all brands) are built in China. It takes time to ship them to the US, then to the retail chain HQ, then to the actual branch. So it did not languish in a warehouse for all these months.

Also, 10.6.2 was released in November. This was after your MBP left the factory.

Finally, have your calibrated your battery? Calibration helps OS and software come to grips with your battery. The procedure in in your manual.

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

This is why I've always ordered from the Apple online store and not walked down to the local apple store and picked one up. Having one built for you insures that it will be a recent build. Sure the components that go into it were ordered and recieved by Apple months ago. Also, I wait a while to order and read macrumors, etc, to see how the new machines fair in the quality arena. Plus, waiting a few months into the cycle, you might get a rev b or rev c this or that vs a rev a if you buy the day Apple announces a new product.

18. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

you can tell when yours was built from the SN number still yes?

I fail to see any big deal with getting 10.6 discs with a 10.6.2 machine.

Whether its good for the battery or not, its irrelevant. Its still covered by the SAME 1yr warranty, and still rated to last for 1000 cycles. I think you are just worrying over nothing. Use it and just enjoy it already.

19. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Tried this?

20. Smoothie macrumors 6502

The estimated time remaining is based upon how much current is being used at any given moment. If you're doing something CPU intensive, it will show less time. When you get back to idling, it will show more time. It's also affected by the level of backlight, fan speed, etc.