New MacBook Pros to use standard 2.5" SATA-II HD/SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, Feb 20, 2011.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The question is:

Do you think the new MacBook Pros will still use the same 2.5" standard form-factor hard drive or SSD drive, or will Apple be going to something like the MBA-style blade SSD storage for the new MacBook Pro?

The reason is, I have three 512GB Toshiba SSDs sitting here waiting to be installed in a machine, they are the 2.5" form factor. I installed one of them in my 2010 MacBook Pro, but would like to be able to install them in the new machines if they will be able to use the same 2.5" size drives.

Does anybody know or have any idea on this?

Thanks

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Anyone who knows probably won't be telling. We may not find out till Apple's announcement has been made.

3. karohan macrumors 6502

Three 512GB SSDs? That's worth more than my life.

I have heard some people conjecturing the use of blade-style SSDs, but if Apple goes that route, I think they have to also include the option for traditional HDDs. It's not practical to have their Pro machines use ONLY blade-style SSDs.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...run 'em in RAID in your MP... did you steal 'em (crap that's a lot of cash on a relatively new tech still)?...:eek:

5. Cr0nus macrumors member

Cr0nus

sandy bridge supports sata3, natural progression would be that mbp would support sata3

6. mdgm macrumors 6502a

WardC wasn't asking about SATA III. WardC was asking as to whether the Mac Pros would still use a 2.5" HDD/SSD or whether a blade style SSD like the one in the MacBook Air would be used.

WardC already has 2.5" SSDs so they are a sunk cost.