New Macbook reaches 90°C @ 80% CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by owdin, Nov 3, 2008.

1. owdin macrumors member

When doing some heavier stuff like rendering or watching some youtube vids, my processor reaches temperatures up to 90°C, after a while the fans engage and when they're spinning @ 4000RPM the temperature is still 85°C and still performing for just 80%. Didn't test my macbook at full cpu speed because I'm affraid of doing damage.

Notice that all this is under normal conditions (like a 18°C room temperature)

Do you think it needs to be replaced?

Thx in advance
    [​IMG]

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Watching YouTube videos barely qualifies as intensive on the CPU. Call AppleCare, CPU should not go up to 80% using YouTube. My hovers between 1-15% max. Highest temperature I have recorded is 90*C but after encoding a video and at the same time watching an iTunes movie. My MacBook's processor hovers normally during Safari usuage (including YouTube right now) around 45-68*C. No higher than that. My fans stay mainly in 2000rpm and go to 4000-6000rpm when I do video encoding or iTunes stuff.

Like I said, check your MacBook, there must be something else consuming your CPU juice.

3. owdin thread starter macrumors member

Okay, but it doesn't matter about wich program we are talking.

I just mean that I find it strange that the CPU reaches such a temperature at just 80% of its speed.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Houston, we've got a problem.

My 1.8C2D MBA hasn't EVER exceeded 68C under the same conditions.

5. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

what widget is that? can you give me the link? thanks!

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I got mine up to 88 with video encoding. It jacked up the speeds to almost 4000RPM and the CPU was pretty much maxed out. Once the fan shot up the temp went down to 80.

At other times I can get the heat up pretty high with flash.