Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

signaturez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
ModNote™: Don't plagiarize. If you're going to copy and paste something from another site, provide a reference.... --mkrishnan

Source: http://notebookarena.blogspot.com/2008/03/dell-leaked-latitude-e6000-and-e5000.html

* UWB, Bluetooth 2.1, mobile broadband
* Integrated GPS, yes GPS
* New 84WHr slice batteries for "all day" computing
* LED backlighting, 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution, discrete
nVIDIA graphics and DisplayPort out
* Hard, Hybrid, and Solid State disk drive options with eSATA
jack for more
* Optional camera and mic
* Plenty of security options including contact-less smart cards
and encrypted hard disks

I hope the new macbook should at least match these specs to require we as its fans to pay that premium to own it

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Simple answer, NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!!! Apple will never get those specs not even in the Pro.

Seriously. You might as well start a thread declaring the new MBP will come out with Alienware graphics, or the new iMac with Mac Pro processors.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
How big are they? How heavy are they?
The specs just say "thinner and lighter design", but give no real point of reference.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Why ??

Ummm, the price in solid state drives will come down. Why would you want Apple to offer them in their computers? They'll just overcharge!

Anyways, none of this stuff is too amazing. GPS? I have a GPS unit. I'm not going to pull out my damn laptop in the car while driving. Mic and webcam have been standard for the past few years, as have bluetooth.

As far as the battery and display, who knows. The pro might get a better resolution. The battery might come too.

I bet mobile broadband will come for the air too. In that sort of setup, it's sounds like a freaking ThinkPad trying to do everything.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Ummm, the price in solid state drives will come down. Why would you want Apple to offer them in their computers? They'll just overcharge!

Anyways, none of this stuff is too amazing. GPS? I have a GPS unit. I'm not going to pull out my damn laptop in the car while driving. Mic and webcam have been standard for the past few years, as have bluetooth.

As far as the battery and display, who knows. The pro might get a better resolution. The battery might come too.

I bet mobile broadband will come for the air too. In that sort of setup, it's sounds like a freaking ThinkPad trying to do everything.

The battery will not come apple makes there computers way to thin and light. The display is very unlikely.

signaturez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
most of us here love MB and MBP... sure love to see these specs on the new redesigned MB and MBP

still i dont think is tolerable if mac fans pay premium but not getting the best specs

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Whatever happens, the MacBook will be dumbed down, and not use the latest tech, compared to the MacBook Pro.

bob13bob

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
still i dont think is tolerable if mac fans pay premium but not getting the best specs

This is exactly what happens and why macs are not the best. It's true any macbook is better than bottom barrel nonmac laptop but dollar for dollar they can't compete speed/or build quality. You're paying a premium for marketing and ironically conformity (of hardware) which increases stability.
Btw i've owned powerbook and macbook pro

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
My opinion is the following:

• LED backlit screen - quite reasonable, it's the next step in LCD's and both other MacBooks already have it.
  • New uberbattery - Doubt it, there hasn't been any revolutionary breakthroughs in this field lately. Battery life will be slightly better though, just because of Intel's improvments included in the Montevina platform.
  • 1920x1200 screen - On a 13.3 screen? No way. They could technically bump it up to 1440x900, but since the MacBook is meant to be a mid-market laptop, that would be an advanced feature, so I doubt that as well.
  • nVidia discreet graphics - No way in hell. This is one of the major selling points of the MBP. If MacBook had a decent dedicated graphics solution, MBP sales would go down. Besides - Montevina should bring us an update to the integrated solution - X4500
  • SSD as an option - Again, MacBook is not an expensive laptop. We have to see these in the MBP first, after that - who knows.
  • SmartCard security, encrypted harddrives, GPS, mobile broadband - All of this has been available for quite some time now, but again most of it is meant for high-level laptops. This should first appear in MBP's, then perhaps we'll see it in MacBooks
To sum up - I don't think the next MacBook will bring any special new features. Its hardware configuration is pretty certain since Intel already announced everything about Montevina: slightly higher CPU speeds (still Penryn though), updated integrated graphics, faster cpu/memory bus and some other details. It would also be logical to give it the LED-backlit screen, but I think it ends there, unless Apple suprises us with a redesign (which again shouldn't be TOO good to keep the MBA safe).

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
What will Apple do with new MB or MBP? I am talking about possible June release.

1 aluminum. Not big deal for MBP- it is made from it anyway.

2 smaller/slimmer. As you have seen everything redesigned comes smaller and slimmer (at least portables). I think screen sizes will be the same, so width will remain the same. It means laptops will be slimmer but not likely smaller in a width sense. MB and MBP might be smaller in depth. In any case we will see case redesigns. Hint how MB and MBP will look is similar to MBA. MB might be made somehow cheaper way, because it is least expensive Apple laptop. MB or MBP will remain bigger and thicker and heavier than MBA. See post 11 HOW MB and MBP might achieve thinness.

3 Blu-ray. I don't think it will come in the nearest future. Even so, MB will be the last model to get this option. Reason is very simple- price. Even Apple will not dare to charge outrageous prices. Besides Apple likes uniformity- similar options are available on all Apple Macs (superdrive).

4 Fingerprint readers are least likely option (ever!) to be implemented. Reason is very simple- Apple touts to be more secure than windows. The minute they put fingerprint reader on their product it becomes a Dell!

5 GPS. Not likely. Apple didn't put GPS in iPhone, the most likely product to get that, so it is very unlikely to get that in a laptop. It might get similar solution as ipod touch (because laptops will lack cellphone service). So software addition, but not hardware.

6 Solid state HD. They still in developing phase. Still to expensive, still too small in GB to be implemented in MB or MBP. Unless capacity will increase to 200 GB very soon (in one month) it will be not available. I think MBP is more likely candidate for solid state HD. To offer something less than 200 GB is an insult. Why MBA has one? Simply because size. It has ipod size HD, so not many options (capacity vise) available even with spinning plates inside vs solid state ones.

7 video card. It is likely to see MBP with new video card. MB is not likely to get one because it doesn't need one.

8 Display upgrade. Might be just better resolution, led option, nothing very exciting.

9 wireless. Somehow better implemented.

10 battery life should improve because of less power hungry processors.

11 Ports. Because of possible slimness we might see less ports on MB and MBP. On MB one USB port and microphone jack might become extinct. As well as Firewire 400 on MBP. MBP and MB might get rid of DVD drive entirely (not very likely, but possible. If that will happen, then both MB and MBP will get rid of it). It is only known and most effective way to make laptops slimmer than now. However laptops will not get slimmer than 2.09 cm or 0.82 inch because 2.5 inch hard drives (height) will limit that. E-sata will not arrive on any laptop as MBP has already possibility to connect e-sata using express card adapter. MB will keep cost low.

So it still be quite similar to already available apple laptops.
Just more memory, HD capacity and faster processors. That will be 100% upgraded, because that is what Apple does every time. I suggest to call that refreshment vs upgrade (new design).

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
MBP might get better access to HD for easier user replacement. I think this was most requested option for MBP which is not that hard to implement.

jmmtn4aj

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
Singapore
If you have that resolution, you'll end up with a screen that's either too big for a MacBook even close to the standard formfactor, or a screen that's way too high res to view properly without a microscope. 13" screens and 1900x anything is a recipe for absolute fail.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I started to doubt that cosmetic design will be changed very soon. It is still quite fresh design (MBP) compared to competition.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
11 Ports. Because of possible slimness we might see less ports on MB and MBP. On MB one USB port and microphone jack might become extinct. As well as Firewire 400 on MBP. MBP and MB might get rid of DVD drive entirely (not very likely, but possible. If that will happen, then both MB and MBP will get rid of it). It is only known and most effective way to make laptops slimmer than now. However laptops will not get slimmer than 2.09 cm or 0.82 inch because 2.5 inch hard drives (height) will limit that. E-sata will not arrive on any laptop as MBP has already possibility to connect e-sata using express card adapter. MB will keep cost low.

you were doing good until here, apple can not afford to lose any ports, the new thing is to try and cram as many usb ports into a machine as possible, its already an insult to have only 2 usb ports on the 15" pro, and losing firewire 400??? are you crazy?? how are pros suppose to use their firewire 400 devices (dv cams, firewire sound consoles, any firewire HD thats isnt a Mybook w/800)? is there a 800 --> 400 adapter that i dont know about?

and removing the mic input? even if its just on the MB, isnt apple all about podcasts? do you really think people are going to want to record podcasts on the internal mic? i think not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.