New macbook vs wait? Or: Is this the end of the air?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Talbot, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Talbot macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for the redesign of the Macbook Air for a while now. I've had the 2011 version for my daily low performance tasks but the battery life sucks.

Initially I was so excited for this new one. But then I started to think is this really the right choice considering its being labeled as just a macbook? Not to be pretentious but I always liked the air line because it was mainly for people who had a desktop. The macbook line seemed like students. And the Pro line was for professionals who needed performance and mobility.

I realize at the end of the day there will be thousands and thousands of people with the same laptop but just out of curiosity... Is anyone worried they're going to announce and new Air? I don't even know what that would look like...

2. leman macrumors 604

I am quite sure that the Air will be phased out in a near future and completely replaced by the new 12" model, just like the retina MBP has (de-facto) replaced the non-retina one. This is what makes the most sense from the product portfolio standpoint. You'd have a choice between a very portable machine suitable for casual personal user/mobile business user and a somehow less portable, but a significantly more powerful machine.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

This year's MBA, even though has not had an industrial design update in a few years, may be the last one which may actually be kept up with the latest internals too. I agree with the earlier poster - this fits in with a very Apple like pattern of product neglect and eventual abandonment - from various iPod's, to the MBP, to the rMini and now the MBA's.

4. Talbot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks guys!