New MacBook - Which 4GB memory brand did you upgrade to and where did you buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scottsdale, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Looking for quick minute of your time.

Going to upgrade to 4 GB (2x2GB) of memory:

DDR3 - PC 8500 - 1066 MHz - 204 pin SO-DIMM

Rather than just buying cheap memory for my new MacBook, I read some reviews and was totally confused on which is the best memory for the new MacBook. Whether people bought at NewEgg.com or MacSales.com they seemed to have same success rate. And brands like Crucial got around 90% success rate but around 10% had a problem. An example, a few people that bought Crucial RAM for their new MacBooks did not have success on first try. So, is this a bad brand or is it just one or two bad sticks of memory???

So, if you updated your MacBook with 4 GB of memory, where did you buy it and what brand did you buy? Any problems?

Basically, I just want to buy the brand with the highest success rate. I just don't want any problems. I know they SHOULD all be the same.

DDR3 - PC 8500 - 1066 MHz - 204 pin SO-DIMM

Thanks for your answers.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I did have success with Crucial with my new MacBook. I have used them for all of my past laptops with no problems. Generally those who post about such things are ones who have had issues, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I would say that Crucial is a fine fit for you.

Regardless, any choice should be fine.

3. SoonerChris macrumors member

SoonerChris

Crucial here as well. Upgraded my iMac from 1GB to 4GB and have had no issues.

4. boonedocks macrumors newbie

Crucial

I've bought Crucial memory for years on various computers with no issues.

I recently got a MBP (previous version) and upgraded to 4GB. It it Crucial RAM, but I got it from frys.com for ~$53, and a $35 rebate is pending. So less than $20. Not sure if they are still running the deal, but worth looking into (though make sure you get the right speed for your MB).

5. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Hi all. This is specific to the NEW MB AND MBP only. Thanks.

I am just wanting to know which DDR3 Memory you use for your new MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Wanting to know to verify Memory that really works for the new MacBook lineup.

Thanks and cheers.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Crucial here as well. from newegg.com $125. no problems but keep the old ram if you have problems with your macbook and apple discovers 3rd party ram they will blame the ram and stop looking for the real problem.

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I usually buy Crucial memory, too. Have it in my iMac, ordered it yesterday for my MacBook. Can't go wrong with it, in my opinion. Bought two 2GB sticks here in Europe for €80. Very reasonable price, if you ask me. Much cheaper than when I bought it for my iMac, about fifteen months ago.

8. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have read that a few people who bought Crucial RAM had problems with it not working in new MacBooks. That is why I didn't just buy it, and also why I decided to post here. Maybe was just a few bad sticks...

9. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Also read that Crucial has reputation as one of the cheapest and uses lower quality chips.

One person specifically sited OCZ as an excellent brand.

for (2 x 2 GB = 4 GB Total) I found the following pricing.

Also noticed that Mushkin is cheapest on NewEgg.com at $120.

And OWC is cheapest overall at $117 at macsales.com.

Found Samsung chips for $105 through private party. Supposedly what Apple uses, I think I read.

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

It is not just crucial ram in the new macbooks, some have had problems with owc ram and even apple ram. it is something to do with the new chip set not the ram itself. i am sure that there were a few people that received bad ram.

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

So going Crucial or not is noncrucial? :cool:

I would say that RAM is crucial for your MacBook, though.

12. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I made up my mind. I am going to wait another day to see if anyone else has input.

So, I didn't make up my mind on which memory I am getting yet... HA HA.

Guessing Crucial since all of you seem to mention Crucial.

I guess what one said is true that there are probably 1,000s of people the Crucial memory is working for but only the ones that it doesn't work for fill out questionnaire or post when it doesn't work.

Thanks all... Any other memory users? Glad to hear from you all.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple Ram Buyback Program

If your machine is less than two weeks old, you can go to a manager at the applestore and ask for this program (bring your receipt or proof of purchase).

They take your machine 'buy it back', keep your old ram, and charge you $150 and install it. It's then covered under your one year warranty and applecare after that.

Yeah, you can probably save ten bucks by ordering it online and installing it yourself, and keeping your original 2 gigs, but I opted for apple to do it. I didn't want to wait on the ram and run a chance that I'd get a DOA stick. I also didn't want to run an ad on craigslist and mess with that hassle.

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

i bought it no problems 2+ weeks used 8+ hours a day.

15. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I agree with clyde2801. I bought my new Alum. Macbook at my local Apple store & had them upgrade the RAM there. To me it was well worth it.

16. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

It was over two weeks ago. Too bad I missed that opportunity.

Since was three weeks, will the local Apple Store install it for extra fee? Or will the Apple Store just sell it to me? I have had some really bad luck with the store closest to me. I would prefer buying Apple memory and installing it myself. I want all of the screws to be there when I finish. Two were missing the last time I went to that store.

Actually, I paid $50 to buy a full set of exact screws because I was missing three. I then replaced the missing ones so they didn't void my warranty. When I got my MBP back from service it was missing two screws. Made me very angry. The Assistant Manager told me that he didn't think it mattered if was missing those two screws.

Anyways, I am way off topic. I will call the local Apple Store tomorrow and see if I can buy it there.

Best wishes to you all with your CRUCIAL memory.

17. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

I took out my 2 x 1 Gig Samsung ram that comes from my mbp (late 2008), and replaced it with 2 x 2 Gig Crucial DDR3 PC3-8500 CL7 204 pin SODIMM. It works fine.