Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mquaack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
I am so new to Macs and I was going to order one till I read all the post on the random shutdown issue. I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with. I am settled on a Mac.

1. Do you think the random shutdown issue has been fixed with all new Macbooks sent out via online Apple store order?

2. Is a new MacBook or MacBookPro coming out soon? (like in weeks or a month)

Thanks.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
mquaack said:
I am so new to Macs and I was going to order one till I read all the post on the random shutdown issue. I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with. I am settled on a Mac.

1. Do you think the random shutdown issue has been fixed with all new Macbooks sent out via online Apple store order?

Thanks.
please please please please please remove your second question before someone kills you, because well, it's a very very very bad question (and you should have searched)

and to your first question, it has not been an issue that EVERYONE has, so chances are you'll be fine.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
oldnavy1918 said:
Good idea, i had not seen that yet:D

except it has no macbook info because it's the first gen product. so, um, yeah, that was kinda ignorant post of "Here you go"

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
dwd3885 said:
except it has no macbook info because it's the first gen product. so, um, yeah, that was kinda ignorant post of "Here you go"

But it does have links to the rumor stories about it...

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
I think the benchmarks being received from the new iMacs indicate that the jump from Core Duo to Core2Duo isn't massive anyway - and the current Macbook's are fantasticly fast anyway even coming from a G5 iMac (well the graphics aren't as hot lol but they're still not bad)and the jump from my G4 1.42Ghz ibook is again - massive.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Do not doubt the iGary™ he knows all.

ummm, I've had the RSD issue fixed twice... I think the Macbook is a wonderful computer - but I'm sure the RSD only affects like 20% of users or so. I wouldn't worry about it. After week 35 should be safe (according to internet reports).

If you need one get one.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
mquaack said:

You know, I could be wrong, but I hear that there may or may not be a new type of CPU called a Merom or Memrom or something that's supposed to be used in MacBooks in a few weeks............ *runs away and hides from everyone else*

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
If you want one, just buy one. I waited and waited for merom..and on Sept 16th I bought my first mac (macbook) and picked up my free ipod and could not be happier!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
There's a recent logic board revision (week35, someone mentions above) that is meant to fix a lot of probs. I'd say it's a reasonable time to buy a MacBook.

(I'm not getting into all that C2D nonsense, other threads have done this at length).

mquaack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
emotion said:
There's a recent logic board revision (week35, someone mentions above) that is meant to fix a lot of probs. I'd say it's a reasonable time to buy a MacBook.

(I'm not getting into all that C2D nonsense, other threads have done this at length).

So when you order from Apple online is it built then and shipped or shipped from a warehouse? If it is shipped from a warehouse I'm curious how much stock is there before the week35 are stored.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
mquaack said:
So when you order from Apple online is it built then and shipped or shipped from a warehouse? If it is shipped from a warehouse I'm curious how much stock is there before the week35 are stored.

I'm not sure. If you order BTO maybe that will make sure you get a 'fresh' one.

imMAColata

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
There was a rather large delay in macbook order times in september. Several weeks I was told. This could mean they held back building new units in Shanghai while boffins laboured around the clock to fix the RSS problem. Let us hope they did and that my almost build MacBook which ships monday will be completely RSS free and work like a dream.

mquaack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
I work for an IT company and a reseller. I'm an engineer but I asked sales if they could get me a MacBook. When I got a reply email from my company sales it stated that the distributor had hundreds of MacBooks in stock. So I don't want to order from them since it was probably stock made before week35. If I build to order one then maybe it is current and not from Apple's warehouse stock of pre-built systems.

Romainf

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
Geneva
I got stupidly caught in the fever of the C2C upgrade (silly me!!!), but I now actually realise that I don't even know what will be the main advantage of a 64bit technology (I'm a "normal" user, nothing fancy, email, internet, photo and itunes)...

Could someone explain it to me? Thx

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
^ you probably won't need what 64-bit offers. At least not soon. And I don't know if you will by the time you think about getting a new computer. You might get a little better battery, a little faster processor, but nothing major. I was holding out for a C2D macbook, realized I was fine with the Coreduo, and now while everyone else is waiting for the next model (which isn't coming out for a while, I think) I'm enjoying my brand new macbook. And it's f!@#ing amazing!

P.S. I use my computers like you do. Nothing overly intensive... browsing, ilife, some other stuff. It's all good.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
generik said:
Wow... that is like saying only 50% of elderly men die of heart disease...:rolleyes:

Apple does *try* and fix their mistakes. It's not like they're "oops, looks like you got a bad one - too bad."

I do recommend having a backup computer just in case though.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
7on said:
Apple does *try* and fix their mistakes. It's not like they're "oops, looks like you got a bad one - too bad."

I do recommend having a backup computer just in case though.

Yeah, why dya think they came up with the mac mini? :D

BSME

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
just get one now. mine has no issues, and though there will be a slight performance increase with the C2D, the true advantages won't be useful to most anything without a dedicated graphics card anyways. for what you're likely to use a macbook for, it's perfect as-is. just get 2gb ram when you can and you're good to go.

i haven't even been able to max out the ram on this thing yet, and she doesn't even slow down running parallels, transmission, typing notes in word and while downloading the updates to SP2 within parallels. not to mention looking up the random website while i was taking notes.

needless to say, i'm happy i've got it now and it serves my purposes just fine. anything you can't do with the macbook that requires a MBP might make the wait worth it, but if you're in the market for a MB, just get it now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.