New Machines on Jan 7th

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille posts rumors about upcoming machines at MWSF:

Translated by aramk:

We are normally very hesitant to post rumors and on that note, we want to remind you that a rumor is an unverifyable fact.

Certain large national companies have already entered in this data; there will be a new model of the iMac G4 with a processor speed of 1 Ghz, a hard drive of 120 GB, and the machine will contain 512 mb of ram - nothing surpising yet.

The surprising item will be that the machine will sport a price tag that is 1200 to 1400 euros higher than the top of the line now; bringing the machine in the 4000 euro range; an astronomical price for an iMachine. It is difficult to imagine that the machine wouldn't support a 19" LCD or other new items/technology to justify such a high price.

Another informed source (in another European nation) told me that it was impossible to order 15" LCD iMacs that contained the CDRW or Combo drive and that it was also possible that it might be difficult to order the superdrive equipped 15" LCD model.

[Update] Another person informed that on Jan 8 a conference between european and american staff to present to journalists two sessions; one on hardware, the other on software. The hardware sessions seemed to be oriented towards wireless and mobile items. Leave your mind to imagine things...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
let's hope it's more than that. i mean, obviously it'll be more. just hope it's something big.

that said, the powermacs aren't due for much/anything so that huge factor won't be there for them. same with powerbooks.

i'd guess software will be pretty big... we shall see though.

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Originally posted by bennyek
I would think that FCP4 would be a pretty significant announcment on the 7th.
Any thoughts
iTunes 4 would be even bigger.
Seeing as we got iTunes 3 6 months ago...
whatever they call it, I hope it has AAC support.

aramk

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2002
Clinton, NY
French Translation

Translation - note I've skipped a couple of things not relevant to the machine such as MacBidouille's statistics concerning how many were interested in rumors - note that its also been about 6 months since I was living in France and I might have missed a couple of things. - Aram

---

We are normally very hesitant to post rumors and on that note, we want to remind you that a rumor is an unverifyable fact.

Certain large national companies have already entered in this data; there will be a new model of the iMac G4 with a processor speed of 1 Ghz, a hard drive of 120 GB, and the machine will contain 512 mb of ram - nothing surpising yet.

The surprising item will be that the machine will sport a price tag that is 1200 to 1400 euros higher than the top of the line now; bringing the machine in the 4000 euro range; an astronomical price for an iMachine. It is difficult to imagine that the machine wouldn't support a 19" LCD or other new items/technology to justify such a high price.

Another informed source (in another European nation) told me that it was impossible to order 15" LCD iMacs that contained the CDRW or Combo drive and that it was also possible that it might be difficult to order the superdrive equipped 15" LCD model.

[Update] Another person informed that on Jan 8 a conference between european and american staff to present to journalists two sessions; one on hardware, the other on software. The hardware sessions seemed to be oriented towards wireless and mobile items. Leave your mind to imagine things...

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Thanks for translating that for everyone aram. I was not aware that the iMac was hard to order right now....that is also a huge price tag and a 19" screen would just look odd on the current base, not to say it wont happen though, perhaps it will be an even bigger surprise and the iMac will have some changes happpen in the appearance....

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
15" iMacs are listed as 1-2 days on Apple's website as of right now.

I can see the higher price if it comes with a 19" HD screen.

Software updates will most likely be a new iMovie and iPhoto, iSync, Rendezvous and wireless support.

And maybe a Mac version of the smart display ?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I don't believe the part about the price at all.

4000 EU is about the same as 4000 USD (last time I checked the exchange rates) and to have an iMac the same price as a top-of-the-line Powermac doesn't make sense, unless it's an anneversary version or something, then I could see it, but a beefed up iMac for 4k? Don't think so.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
$4,000 is a very big price for an iMac of any flavour. If it's true, what on earth is it paying for? Frankly, my mind is boggled! It can't be two processors because of the heat: would a 19" screen add that much? Bear in mind that traditionally any speed bumps alone would not increase the price. Come on guys, this site is for speculation, so speculate already!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Damn That is a hefty amount for an iMac. I can't stand for such an overpriced iMac.
dammn. :(
Ah and I checked conversion charts...
4000 Euros = $4,097.20 Dollars, ech...
Well inless that iMac is coming equiped with dual processors, an ATI 9700 Pro, that aint worth it. :rolleyes:

aramk

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2002
Clinton, NY
Remember the markup...

Just a note on the price and the figure of 4000 euros - you need to remember their is a high markup in nations outside the United States. For example, the base PowerBook in the US costs $2299 - roughly equivelent to 2300 euros. In France, buying the same PowerBook costs $2499. Both prices are before tax; so we've already seen a $200 difference. Then, take into account tax - in NYC its 8.25%, in France its 19.6%...

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Price like the cube?!

exactly which imac would be pushed into the €4,000 range? because the lowest model is €1,299. if you add €1200 to the ultimate iMac, you get €3750. That's close, but how on earth could they explain an increase of that much? after all, the ultimate has a 17in. screen, the GeForce 4MX, Superdrive, 256MB of ram (could be upgraded significantly, except SDRAM is dirt cheap) So if they were to take only the ultimate, throw in 1Ghz, a 19in monitor, up it to 1GB of ram, throw in a GeForce4 Ti, even that wouldn't warrant over 1200-1400 Dollars. And since more than one computer will be getting 1Ghz without a price upgrade, we would drop that from the equation. I'm not sure, that sounds like bullcrap to me. It's like the cube. You bought it for 2,200 (? i don't remember, even though my mother has one) and then you needed a monitor. Get a 15in for what was it, 799? 999? so long ago. That would be around the same price range as this guy, even more. Why would apple repeat the past?

Frobozz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
$4000 machine?

Okay, $4000 is too much, and has to be wrong. Adding $1300 to the existing price puts them out of reach of all but the most elite consumers. I think that this rumor is misplaced and wrong, but that it might have a little truth after all... this could be the first inclination of the wireless rumors. Maybe a modified iMac or a standalone consumer electronics machine that serves as the hub in the living room.

I just don't think that anything over $1500 for something like this is feasable in this economic climate.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Re: Remember the markup...

Originally posted by aramk
Just a note on the price and the figure of 4000 euros - you need to remember their is a high markup in nations outside the United States. For example, the base PowerBook in the US costs $2299 - roughly equivelent to 2300 euros. In France, buying the same PowerBook costs $2499. Both prices are before tax; so we've already seen a $200 difference. Then, take into account tax - in NYC its 8.25%, in France its 19.6%...

I understand about the taxes, tariffs and such, but to go from 2,000$ to 4,000$ (approximately of course) can not be swept away under the taxes and tariffs banner.

Quite frankly I think that 4,000 euro number will get an update this week, if not totally dropped. Sounds like specualtion got a bit twisted.

BTW, there is no such thing as a iMac worth 4 grand :p No matter how it is equipped.

darndog

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2002
uk
Unless...

The 17" display had a pressure surface and could be removed from the stand as a wireless screen.
With airport & inkwell most of this is easy and very apple.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Re: Unless...

Originally posted by darndog
The 17" display had a pressure surface and could be removed from the stand as a wireless screen.
With airport & inkwell most of this is easy and very apple.
Did I miss something, or did you say WIRELESS screen? That's not possible. How the heck would it even power itself? And airport can't send data nearly fast enough.

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
actually, Microsoft ran a demo of this kind of product on a TechTv infomercial thing they did. It seemed to work pretty well (taking into consideration the magic of tv), I've also seen some other write ups on this elsewhere. It apparantly uses 802.11b, so yes, it's capable of using airport to do this.

Daner3

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC, Canada
$4,000.00! Yeoch!

Long time reader first post.

How about Airport 2 that may speed up the transfer to the wireless screen. I do doubt the price too tho. It would have to include a iPhone an iPod wireless mouse and keyboard, mega memory, bluetooth and all the other kewl stuff in it too!

uberman42

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2002
Orange County, CA
All wrong...apple needs to bring the cost down or keep the same price but add a few features to make it salable. No increase in screen size from the 17, but 1.25 Mhz single processors, firewire 2 at 800+ Mbps and airport 2 with airport 2 cards that have GPRS and 802.11b and g, and yes - bluetooth (sans interference). buh bye IR on the Pwrbks. Add in demos on rendevous with the new airports, IP over Firewire, iSync finally out of beta...more demos with outside companies utilizing the technology...feel the love tonight baby.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
17" screen still too small, bring on the 19"

I'm really tired of hearing this that a 19" screen would be too big. The base is freakin' huge. Way out of proportion to the tiny 15 or 17" screen. My first job when ever I sit in front of an imac is to hide the base and let the screen appear to float in mid air.

Contrasts are important in good design. The first imac had a base that was just plain enormous with a tiny little screen. That's the reason they addes the huge plastic edge. To give it the feeling of being balanced at least. Still the screen appeared too small. The 17" didn't really help. In fact, since it's not that much bigger, it appears like a mistake. Kind of like mixing a 14pt font with a 16pt. Looks like an error. Like the screen was supposed to be equal to the base but it was accidentally made a little too big.

The 19" would finally put the importance on the screen. The important and eye catching part. The base will finally disappear from perception and the screen will be left as the focus.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
120GB HD?!? $4000?!?
What are they going to put in/charge for pro machines?! It would have to be something nutty (albeit wonderful) like darndog said for any of this to even come close to making sense. /Weird/.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.