"New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level"-MBA/13"MBP Mega-Hybrid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jobsian, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

With the news today that the updated MBPs look more likely to be released imminently (link) but possibly only the 15" and 17" models, this combined with the above recent quote from Steve Jobs has made me quite excited about the fate of the 13" MacBook Pros and the MacBook Air.

Maybe there was nothing substantial beyond the kind of marketing hyperbole we'd expect from a CEO, however I'm going to guess it is significant.

Of course, this may be totally wrong, but I imagine the 15" and 17" MBP updates will be along the lines of same form factor, Core-i, slight SSD bump, some form of current-gen graphics and maybe Optimus. Little else. If the 13" MBP + MBA are left out of this update, I'm guessing they’ve got big plans for them beyond the 15" and 17".

Namely a unification of the MBA + 13"MBP into a super premium-ultraportable:
    1) A device lighter and thinner than the 13" MBP and around about the same size, or even a little bigger than the MBA - remember the Vaio Z is about the same weight as the current MBA so there is scope for hopefully big performance gains
    2) NO Optical Drive - This would make perfect sense given the direction of things. Lighter, more room for cooling
    3) Optimus or any other fully seamless graphics switching on the fly
    4) Custom-made Intel processor a la MBA Or even another nudge away from Intel with a PA Semi chip (eg Cortex A9 – though I don't know how plausible this as I don't know of any A9 benchmarks).
    5) USB 3.0 or Light Peak -though given timescales say the latter is unlikely but I would absolutely love if we had either one – in which case I wouldn't really mind lower capacity but higher performance SSD
    6) Absolutely killer design – I say this again, imo the Macbook Air is the best designed notebook in the history of computers – it really is a stunner, and the size/performance ratio (of the Rev B+ Rev C) is the closest to perfection that I have seen – its reputation unfortunately hampered by the problems with the Rev A version.

This is a bit more out there but:
    7) Novel cooling techniques/new materials – eg leading to a fanless notebook which would have an enormous battery life
    8) OLED/touchscreen/any other display tech update
    9) Some other Apple X-factor :)

Some of that sounds like a dedication to the MBA, apologies (to some degree it is!)

I've seen a few posters here on MR including Scottsdale at the MBA forum predicting a possibility of this very fusion as far back as last year. Though the rumors today of no imminent MBA and 13" MBP were initially disappointing, I now hope they turn out to be true :D

2. bbtrinet macrumors member

I've heard from reliable sources that this is the new redesign of the MacBook Pros:

[​IMG]

3. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

4. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

Ya i think i saw the same thing. What a revolutionary product!

5. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they put out a new design already. I'm hoping they take it in the direction of the Air by slashing the optical drive.

It's alpha omega that they dont sacrifice the excellent thermal management though.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Mate where did you see that quote about the new Macs taking Apple to the next level? :)

7. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

That's exactly one of the main points of the fusion that I've forgotten to include - will update the post. As some here have speculated, the MBA may well be a prototype for the direction Apple are taking for their MBPs, losing the optical drive makes perfect sense

8. auero macrumors 65816

I don't think they'll try to make the mbp anymore ultra portable only because it would affect the MacBook air sales.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You really have no idea what you are talking about...

Optimus - Windows only (hopefully ATI and Apple has developed something similar)
    Custom CPUs - No need
    USB3/LightPeak - It's not 2011 yet
    OLED - Yes but 13" MBP will start from 2999$
    New design - Doubt it

There are over 20 000 posts regarding to this already....

10. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

11. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

True but the point is that they would drop what is currently called the MBA altogether

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Optimus is not Windows only.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

14. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Exactly. Don't waste a perfectly good thread.

15. Danielclark macrumors newbie

USB 3 is not 2011?
    Today i saw a new Western Digital eksternal harddrive with USB3 support in a newspaper from a major danish eletronics store (much like best buy)

16. sth macrumors 6502a

There's no need for a custom Intel processor since Intel currently has lots of nice low voltage Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs ready.

Cortex A9 would be nice for the next iPad but not the MBP. It's about the speed of a netbook CPU and doesn't run x86 software.

17. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

NO NO NO NO NO. I'm planning on getting a MBP once the refreshes release, but if they pull some stunt by fusing the 13" with the MBA, then it's a no go.

I know this is pure speculation, but still...

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are HDs and controller cards with USB3 but so far no laptops and no motherboards with integrated USB3, only external card for USB3.

2011 sounds right for consumer release (laptops with it, devices with it etc)

19. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

The new HP Envy 15 has USB 3.0 I had one and sold it ;)

20. malcolm233391 macrumors member

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does it? Then I'm not up-to-date :eek: It may use external chip for that though.

Late 2010 - 2011 is IMO time for major consumer release

22. kolax macrumors G3

They won't use their own CPU's on Macs.

Intel is with us for a long time.

23. sth macrumors 6502a

24. roxygal9 macrumors regular

I really think this could be a possibility having the air and mbp merge into one. Its a smart marketing move i think as most people who opt for a 13 in machine probably dont need superdrive etc need it for portability. I love the MBA, but I was considering the MBP 13in since its ram can be upgraded, etc. perhaps I wont have to make that decision anymore? Hopefully it is not nixed for good! :mad:

25. relativist macrumors regular

Not that your wrong, you might very well be right. But if there were an intention by Apple to use this platform, I doubt nVidia would admit it.