New Macs... what to expect?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
I think Apple is trying to take control of things. I think they are going to release new Macs with very crappy processor upgrade, tons of other bubblegum features and a new line of flat monitors togather.

If they do not surprise everybody (for good) they would still in troubles. I can't believe they haven't realise they are a computer company, not an digital entertaiment device factory. The iPod is ok, the Powerbooks too but, where is the stuff?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Why...

...would Apple release a "pro" machine with tons of "bubblegum features"? They know it wouldn't sell any better because their target market doesn't give a **** about bubblegum. I think we'll see something similar to an XServe, but with a slightly better processor (and hopefully, true DDR support, which is about 50x more important than some stupid clock frequency boost).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
even with the DDR memmory support - which is probably the most important new feature - Apples still can't compete head to head with the PCs, CPU to CPU - they still need 2 processors to even come close.

As for Bubblegum - that's more of the OS - having 4 Gigs of Ram - fast bus, etc. is enough to make the pros happy for now. But really, how much more life can be extracted from the G4?

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Bah, if you want DDR ram in your mac, just buy an xserve and install a graphics card and then install Jaguar. BAM! You have a g4 workstation with DDR RAM for as little as $2999 and you can get it today! :).

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i'dd like to see a free CRT 17" monitor for a limited time (or $200 off any Apple LCD monitor), support for 5.1 sound, port for regular computer speakers (or any kind of computer speakers) for the pmac

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
Originally posted by topicolo
Bah, if you want DDR ram in your mac, just buy an xserve and install a graphics card and then install Jaguar. BAM! You have a g4 workstation with DDR RAM for as little as $2999 and you can get it today! :).
can you use a xserve without one of those big racks? If not, then can you get a rack that only hold one or two xserves (and how much would those cost)? If it is not particularly expensive, then i'd be very interested in that.