New manufacturer and better/larger SSD drives coming!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by drconehead2000, Apr 30, 2008.

1. drconehead2000 macrumors member

So after reading an article on appleinsider http://www.appleinsider.com/article...custom_intel_imac_chips_macbook_air_ssds.html)

That says a different company STEC will be providing the SSD drives for future air revisions, I went and did some digging into their products. I am posting a pic off a pdf from their website that seems to indicate a SSD drive with PATA interface 1.8 inches, and 5mm tall....what do people think? Capacity up to 512 GB.

Attached Files:

2. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It says up to 512GB and lists 2.5 and 1.8 version HD.

My guess is that the 1.8 version will be much less.

Overall, good news to see bigger SSDs.

4. Skystar macrumors 6502

It's good news, but it will take a while for the prices to come down for the everyday consumer. Maybe by then my MBA's warranty will be up and I can pick one of those up and just do a swap.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, I notice there are no prices posted. Probably for a reason.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Engadget had an article (IIRC) on this and unfortunately for us, these new drives max out at 128GB in a MBA friendly format... I'll see if I can find the article...

:EDIT:

Not Engadget after all, it's on 9 to 5mac... Linkety

7. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

I've got 35GB of space left on my SSD, when it's close to full, the 128GB will be affordable.

8. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

128GB isn't ideal, but I think many Air owners (myself included) would jump at the opportunity to have 128 over what they currently have.

Hopefully the price point won't be prohibitive!

9. drconehead2000 thread starter macrumors member

For me, 128 would be absolutely ideal...I wonder when the switch to this provider will occur, since they have apparently already received the contract.

10. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

awesome. i'm really happy to be owning a mba 1.6/80 since i'm sure we'll all be upgrading to ssd when it gets cheaper.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that we will see SSD prices drop as the demand goes up, similar to when RAM memory first began to drop in price.

If memory serves, a 32MB (as in Megabyte) SIM cost around $3,200 in 1992-1993. A couple of years later, the same memory was around $800 or less.

And now you might get $5 for one if you are lucky. :eek:

Just visited my local Yodobashi Camera store tonight. It seems each time I visit the store, there are more small laptop/palmtop type computers. The demand is definitely growing for mobile solutions.

12. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

will the 64GB one be cheaper? I mean, cheap enough to replace the stock HDD?