New MB Unibody (High End) or stick with Last Gen (Non-Unibody) MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yuanmoons, Dec 30, 2008.

1. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

This may have been discussed? And maybe i should post in the MacBook section?

I have both in my possession at the moment and although i love the unibody of the MacBook and overall design tweaks (apart from black backlit keys, i prefer the silver backlit keys on my mbp) - they seem have to stepped up the design alot in my opinion - im finding it difficult to drop down to 13.3" screen. The new glass screen on the macbook does add more contrast than the 15.4" on my old MBP, making it a crisper picture.

BUT i enjoy the 'real estate / space' the 15.4" screen offers, and the physical 'width' of the laptop. It just feels more spacious and puts me in the mood to 'do stuff'. Whereas the 13.3" seems to have a small time, cramped, student feel to it....

Maybe i just need to get used to it?

I appreciate its a personal decision but im wondering whether anyone's got any other opinions to share that might help me either way. I have 5-6 days to decide before i need to return the MacBook.

They both have more or less the same specs besides the screen and hard drive. Both meet my needs.

Any thoughts? :confused:

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the added screen estate of the MBP is definitely a big plus. I too find its more work friendly but that's a personal opinion for various people.

My suggestion to you is to go with the MBP if you're more comfortable using it for work etc. Reason being is that if you're comfortable with it, you'll enjoy using it more.

The only reason to keep the unibody MB in this case seems to be if you either are all about looks and design or you prefer it for its portability.

3. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually like having the last gen and not being the trend setter - feel like keeping it for next 2+ years. But I do like the solidity of the unibody... and all the new design tweaks.

At the moment its 60/40 to keep the MBP, it makes me feel more masculine ..... :cool:

4. Queen6 macrumors 601

Queen6

I looked at the new 2.4 MacBook and both the new and old MacBook Pro`s, left the Apple store with a 2.4 early 08 MacBook Pro :apple:

The MacBook just felt too small and more for someone on the go, the new “Unibody” design is streets ahead in design & strength.

The Pro`s offered an edge on power and I prefer the screens extra real-estate. The new MacBook Pro doesn’t really offer a significant performance hike, and they are still a little too new patches, fixes, revisions etc. The glossy display was a real disappointment I have tried them in several environments and the reflection is far too much for my use, all my machines & displays are matt, barring my netbook. The new display are technically much better; Apple just need to find a way to kill the glare.

The early 08 MacBook Pro for me is a mature product, with present pricing they are a lot of machine for the $$$. The classic look is one I have always admired, it will certainly serve me well, until the “Unibody” matures and quad cores are mainstream, and you never know we might get that matt option :).

5. Vodka macrumors regular

sell both and get a new mbp 17 from macworld'09)))

6. aussie.damo macrumors regular

If you don't need the portability of the MacBook, definitely go with the MBP. I use my MBP every day and appreciate the screen real estate and higher resolution. I also have an Air (same resolution / screen size as the MacBook) but don't think I could use it every day for work. I like to spread my windows (not THAT windows :D) out.

The unibody construction is great, but overall, I'd be happier with the bigger screen. From the sounds of it, so to will you.

Damo

7. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Now thats a lie. MBPs (this gen or last) sport a better display, and even if the MB has a glass screen etc, the MBP displays a better picture because the screen is higher end to put it that way. MBPs are made to handle graphic work, and they deliver. The screen is better, higher res, bigger, and the graphics card outperforms that on the MB by a high margin.

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I say keep the MBP. It is a faster and better computer IMO.

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

The high end unibody is a much-maligned machine. I think if you buy one and keep it for 13 days, you will agree that it is a wonderful computer and well worth the money. If you disagree, you'll still be within the return period!:D

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I would get the classic MBP. It is a much better laptop for the reasons others have stated.

11. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

I lied? :eek: Why would i?

In MY opinion, with the laptops side by side, with my little eyes, i feel the MB has a 'slightly' better screen in terms of contrast/sharpness & brightness. Whether thats because my MBP is 1.5 yrs old or MB being brand spankin' new .... but the MB has a very slight edge in sharpness. I see it clearly with my 'own' eyes, and i see these kinda's details good! :eek:

I decided to keep the MBP late last night. And ill stick with 15.4" from now on - it just 'feels' right for me. I work in full screen whatever app im using so i realise the value of more information or just 'white screen' in & around the info is an important spacious aspect for 'me' .... and more space to rest my big hands! :D

Im glad ive cleared up whats good for me = no future indecision. Ill get a 15.4" whenever this MBP begins to show its age ... hopefully 2yrs of good service left yet, minimum....

I think it would be an interesting question... how old is your laptop? Maybe ill start a poll.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

There is a first for everything. I don't buy it at all.