New MBA with external monitor or iMac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stanwf, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Stanwf macrumors newbie

I have a new 11 in MBA (8gb) and will buy either an external monitor or an iMac for Aperture use. I don't need two computers but is there any big advantage with an iMac?

2. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

The advantage is that it's a computer, not just a screen.
    You could always source a different monitor too, other than Apples selection.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

We need to know more about your situation. How big is your library? Might you need external hdds? Why have you bought an ultaportable MBA?

I'd consider a Thunderbolt Display with a FW or TB external attached, if it's just for home use. [I'm expecting TB Displays to be upgraded along side the new MPs on the 22nd.]

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The imac would have better specs for more intensive computing stuff.

Personally, since you already have the air, and if Aperture runs smoothly enough on the air, I would just recommend you get an external display.

5. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I would suggest a MacBook Pro even if you have to get a slightly used one but if that's not an option then get a 13" Air, you will probably end up wanting the portability just make sure to get decent specs

6. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Get an external monitor, you will save at least $400 even if you get an ultra high end monitor.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use an external monitor with my 15" MBP. Prefer it over an iMac since it gives me portability. I've been using a laptop as my primary machine for over 20 years and like the flexibility. If the Air meets your current needs, keep it and get a good monitor.

8. Stanwf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I was inclined to go the monitor route and now even more so.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd go for a good quality external monitor. I have a 2008 24" iMac, but when it dies I'll get a high end Mac Mini and a good display. I hate having to toss out a great display just because the internals get fried.