New MBP 1080i only through AV Receiver, but 1080P direct to tv (receiver is 1080p)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by al82, Feb 8, 2012.

1. al82 macrumors regular

Was wondering if someone can help me.

I bought a minidisplay to HDMI cable for my MBP (1 week old).

When i connect it to my Yamaha RX V667 receiver which is 1080p compatible, i get no signal, only when i put it as 1080i, which puts big boarders on the left and right side of the screen.

I know for a fact the AV Receiver is 1080p as i have a bluray player connected to it.

I dont want to run the cable directly to the tv because that would mean id have to use the TVs useless speakers.

Anyone have any ideas??

Tried calling Applecare but the person on the other end of the phone didnt even know what 1080p was.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well not sure about 1080p vs 1080i but you could run the hdmi to the tv and got from the headphone jack on the MBP to a open RCA on the the reciever for the audio (to do this once all is plugged in got Preferences, Sound, and you can change the output)

3. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, i was hoping to get HDMI working so i could get 5.1 sound. With RCA i wouldn't get that.

Does the MBP have Optical out through that same port? does anyone know?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It does have optical out.

Check your TV, some also have Optical out(mine does), which would mean you could still use your receiver even if you're plugged straight HDMI into your TV.

6. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the help.

My TV does have an optical but apparently this and (ARC) are for outputting the TVs Freeview signal and wont relay sound put in from HDMI. Well thats what samsung helpline told me.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Doesn't matter as you can't get 5.1 out of your MBP anyway, unless you have some 3rd party software to do it.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, you can, via optical out using the utility called "midi setup".

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, you can't.

10. kjos8035 macrumors member

I found this discussion interesting... I've always wondered why my mbp displays differently on my samsung 55d8000 when I run it through my denon receiver or direct hdmi to the tv. They both are 1080p, both in the same hdmi port, same settings, just displays slightly differently with ~half inch black borders on the bottom and top through the receiver... and it's not a receiver setting, as any other device on the same port displays normally.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It is probably because of over/underscan, which are settings within the signals output. Standard TV outputs have the overscan set as a standard to alleviate this condition, whereas the computer outputs generally do not (although can generally be adjusted to avoid this through advanced settings).

Higher dollar receivers and processors with the ability to do more than HDMI pass through (which is what the majority of the receivers do, just pass the HDMI signal through untouched) will actually decompile the signal, clean up, reprocess and compile and send out correct signals do not experience this phenomena, as they correct for overscan. Very few products on the market go to this level, so expect to spend better than $4K to have this ability.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's all good. I've been guilty of the same many a time.