New MBP 13-inch: 2.3 GHz connecting to external displays??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wongers, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Wongers, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Wongers macrumors newbie

Hi, Im interested in getting one of the new MBP 13''. Does anyone know if you can attach the 13'' MBP to external screens, I want to hook it up to, 2 external 23'' inch screens.

Also does anyone know what the resolution will look like?

Many Thanks

2. frijec macrumors member

I know that matrox makes a little box called Dualhead2Go DP for mac that works, and costs about 280$. Other than that, I don't know how to hook up 2 external monitors. So if you don't have apple monitors, you can just buy the normal version and an adapter for the output of the mac.

But don't take my word for it, as I have not tried it.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/mac/

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i know it is possible to hook the MBP to external displays the performance and resolution i have no idea sorry id say try look for vids of it on youtube. sorry couldnt be more help :confused:

4. Andy2011 macrumors newbie

I've connected two monitors just fine to my 13"..

I'm using a mini display port-> DVI adapter for one, then a USB display adapter for the second, I got for around £30 on eBay. :)

5. mashsensor macrumors member

I think you can actually power 2 monitors using your single minidisplay port, you can buy an adapter that split your minidisplay into 2 hdmi outs. At least according to my user manual for my desktop AMD Radeon 6850 card which has 2 minidisplay port says you can...

6. Wongers thread starter macrumors newbie

What resolution are you getting for both screens?

7. Andy2011 macrumors newbie

I'm running a 21" monitor at 1680x1050 from the mini display port..
    and a 19" at 1280x1024 from the USB adapter (But this supports up to 2048x1152 allegedly)

8. Wongers thread starter macrumors newbie

The setup your using, does it extend the desktop onto the 2 displays, so you are using 3 including the laptop screen. Or are you just using the 2 screens with the macbook lid shut?

Thanks

9. Andy2011 macrumors newbie

I use two displays, rather than three. If you leave the lid up, then it works as three.

It just annoys me having the laptop open when working with an external keyboard and mouse, as when anything is on the laptop screen I keep reaching for the touchpad rather than the mouse :)

Apart from my moments of stupidity, it works fine as three displays :)