New MBP 13" Short Battery Life. (4 days old) What's going on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrgiapanta, Apr 22, 2010.

1. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

It's been only 4 days since I've got my New MBP 13".
    Cycle count is 4. Monitor Brightness around middle.
    And only lasts me 2 Hours and 30 min after fully charging? All I did was playing with Photobooth for 5 min, turned all the application off except Safari, bluetooth was off, backlight of keyboard off, and I wasn't downloading nor watching any video just browsing through webs. I checked Activity Monitor to see if there is any Activities that draining the power, and nothing.
    Now it's showing 2hours left and it's 78% of battery.

Is there something wrong with my battery?
    Should I take it to Apple Store?

2. TennisandMusic

There have been reports of the graphics switching stuff sucking the battery dry. Could just be how the machines are right now. Or maybe you want to take it back to Apple, I dunno, hard to say.

Oops, just realized you have the 13" which means what I wrote is completely moot. Go have it checked out.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

That doesn't sound right. The calibration might do it -some- good, but it will definitely won't take it from 3 to 6-8 hours. I'd take it back if it doesn't improve in the next few days.

5. Agnel macrumors member

Seems to be pretty normal. Ideally it should last for 7-8 hours. Not 10 hours.

The 2 hours remaining would keep changing based on the CPU usage.

But wait until it completely drains.. and goes to sleep.

6. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Define browsing the web. Are you miniclip or addicting games?

7. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

Browsing the web such as using Google search, checking the deals on Amazon, and checking Apple's download page to see if there is any interesting application. No game, no video clip.

Just called the Apple Service and Support.
    Reseted my computer, do some battery test again,
    if it doesn't work, they will send me new battery or I have option to return the computer. I like this MBP (13" 2.4GHz base-model) and I hope this isn't what many people with MBP 13" is experiencing.

But if you own New MBP 13" and have same battery problem, let me know.

8. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

It's weird...that's exactly what I did all my 4 cycles. Waited for it to completely drain up to sleep, than charged it completely. I hope it's just my battery being factory defect.

9. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

You are not the first person having this issue. Many reviews from major sites are reporting the same issues of short battery life.

10. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

My battery life is better than my previous 13. However, I did notice that it was running a lot hotter. Some basic tasks caused the fans to turn on and run and it never seemed to get below 145. That is, until Igot CoolBook running again and all is now bsck to behaving like my old 13" did. Temps don't get over 129 now and fans don't kick on until I really do something cpu intensive for an extended period.

11. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, it's weird.
    My computer shows that battery health is in normal condition.
    But there is nothing normal about it.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you let it drain completely, then leave it like that for 5 or more hours? If not, you didn't calibrate. Read and follow the instructions carefully. It's not just a matter of draining and recharging the battery.

13. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

oh oh...that's not good.
    I don't want to return my MBP...

14. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

5 hours? hmm...Not sure if waited 5 hours.
    I hope that's the problem.

Can I still try doing Calibration again properly?
    or is it only for the 1st time

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can do it again. Follow the instructions in the link I posted in the 3rd post of this thread.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Even if it's not calibrated the battery should last more than 2-3 hours on a charge. I don't think that has much to do with the problem.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree. It's just that calibrating will get a more accurate reading and that's usually a question they'll ask at the Genius Bar when presented with battery issues.

18. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try it again. Properly this time. Hope it will solve the problem.
    Thanx for your help~! :)

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

Get the new mbp if apple is offering a brand new one (not a refurb). Hopefully you havn't copied all your data over. The new battery should last 6 hours or greater on the first use without requiring calibration or anything special.

20. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

so far I have used it like you have been (I'm currently timing my battery life), and I have used it for exactly 67 minutes, on the web, making a presentation, and downloading some widgets (very light, like 1 mb). It has also sat asleep for 17 hours. I'm at 76% showing 7:54 remaining.

This is better than the OP's but is THIS normal? I used 14% in the past 57 minutes, which seems like a lot considering what i was doing (i wasn't even on the web for like half an hour)