New MBP 15" (2.4Ghz) Late 2011 CPU monitor problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techman28, Nov 4, 2011.

1. techman28 macrumors member

I just got a new late 2011 2.4ghz macbook pro 15". It has the quad core i7. I opened up Activity Monitor so I could set its dock icon to show CPU usage. When I did, it only showed 1 bar instead of 4 (1 for each core). I then clicked command+2 to view the separate cpu usage window and it showed 8 bars (for 8 cores). Now only 4 of the were showing activity, bars 1,3,5,and 7 were active and 2,4,6,and 8 weren't.

I then installed istat pro widget and it also shows 8 cores in cpu usage bars but again only 4 active.

I know this is only a quad core cpu and in the System Information it confirms it. So why are these CPU usage apps showing 8 bars? The only reason I care is because since it thinks it has 8 cores, I cant set the activity monitor icon to show the cpu usage for the 4 individual cores.

Does anyone now why this is happening and/or how to fix it? Is this happening to other people with the new late 2011 15" macbook pro (2.4ghz)? Thanks.

2. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

It has 8 threads. When your not using something that doesnt take advantage of the extra threads nothings going to happen with them. 4 Cores, 8 threads. The Dual Cores have 4 threads.