new MBP 15": antiglare and standard resolution = not possible. What now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MPSeevinck, Feb 26, 2011.

1. MPSeevinck macrumors newbie

Dear Members,

The options for the display on the new MacBookPro 15 inch are:

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    - MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
    - MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

But I want the *only* other option that is unfortunately *not listed*: Antiglare at normal resolution.

But this is not possible. What now?

1) buy the hi-res antiglare display, and manually set the resolution to a lower one (via the OSX Preferences)? (The trouble with the higher resolution is that text becomes too small. DO YOU AGREE?)

2) buy the standard glossy display at normal resolution and attach some kind of antiglare film. (For example: antiglare film from Power Support)

I would prefer option 1), but only if the sharpness/quality of the display after manually setting it to (via the OSX Preferences) a lower resolution is still acceptable.

Option 2) has several drawbacks. First of all, I do not want the higher contrast and too vivid (non-true) colors of the glossy screen (photo-editing), secondly, the anti-glare film decreases the overal quality of the output, and it is very hard to attach perfectly.

So is option 1) desirable if indeed manually decreasing the resolution is acceptable. Or other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is not really a new problem it has been this way with the last gens too.
    1.) No I don't agree. Text is not that small. You get used to it very quickly and only menus and stuff really stays small. A Word document, a picture, a video, a website will all be zoomed to the size you are comfortable working with.
    Only menus, buttons and elements truly are smaller and that is imo better anyway. Gives you more screen space for the important stuff.
    Flash went not full screen is the only stuff that doesn't zoom well.
    2.) You could put a film on it and you would get rid of glare but that way the screen would look much worse than the matte screen does. The distance between panel and film is just too big. It works but it doesn't look nearly as good.

I read Lion is going to bring resolution independence. This would solve you problem later on in case it really is too small. I doubt it though unless you really have great trouble with your eyes. I was worried too but I learned i was worried for nothing.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Anti-glare seams to always have been premium with apple so I don't see why they wouldn't pair it with high res. I wouldn't complain about it. I'm stuck with lame 1200x800 res on my 13" so be thankful!;):apple:

4. MPSeevinck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your comments, very helpful!

ad 1) I very often use my MacBookPro as a desktop on a laptop stand, with an extra keyboard and wireless MightyMouse. Therefore I am relatively far away from the display and size does matter then.

Here are the numbers: The screen at normal resolution is 110 ppi, hi-res gives 128 ppi. This means a reduction in size of 16.4% compared to normal resolution. I am going to test if this is acceptable for me.

ad 2) anti-glare film is thus not an option. TechRestore replaces the entire screen and LCD panel and puts in anti-glare. It comes with a one-year warranty.
    This is a rather expensive solution, and I am not sure if they can do the newly released MBP and if they ship back to Europe.

Unfortunately, there's no Apple shop nearby that has the hi-res screen, neither glossy or anti-glare. So I cannot compare.

About Lion bringing resolution independence, here's an article mentioning what we can expect:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/24...rt-for-super-high-resolution-retina-monitors/
    There will probably be support for what Apple calls "HiDPI display modes", but no true resolution independence. The article just states support for "HiDPI display modes" allowing developers to supply 2x-enlarged images for double-high resolution displays. I didn't read anything about resolution independence other than it has been replaced with a new system that could pave the way for "Retina" monitors. But that's not resolution independence - that's just two resolutions.