New MBP 17" Arrived... Wooot!! (^_^) Oh but... YUK!!! UPDATED with more photos!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Feb 5, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, recently I brought myself a new machine (new to me) to replace my old 2.2Ghz SR which has served me very well for the past two years. It's still in perfect working condition but I need a little more speed, so Adobe Premiere Pro & AfterFX CS4 would run smoothly.. especially when I'm on the road.

Anyway, this system actually arrived yesterday afternoon but I've been so busy with my job i didn't have time to play. Till this morning.. hehe... Oh, it's soooo damn nice to have new toys.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I ordered this system, Apple's website stated it's a 2.5Ghz but the other label and system both says something different. :eek: Over all, it just adds to making this purchase a bigger "BARGAIN" !!

I've already called about regarding this, they're gonna let me keep it without paying extra, cause Apple made the mistake!! Hear that kids?

[​IMG]

For those who ain't familiar with me, I like to tweak and customise my systems, so they're at the best as they can and suitable for me. Naturally I'm curious about some things, so it's fairly normal to rip something to shreds with little regards to the manufacturers warranty... Being technically minded, it's extremely rare to send a machine back, especially since this is a refurb..

After a quick test of it's hardware and complete check of the system I procedded to upgrade the system from it's default 200Gb 7200rpm drive to a more useable 320Gb 5400rpm. I know it's not the fastest drive out there but it's just the system drive guys.

Later proceeded to check the thermal paste situation (and it's less than 24hours old).
    Under the bonnet I go, and OMG!!!
    Apple still ain't learnt anything! Just look at it, it's bleedin' degraceful! Why can't they get it right??
    Now, I can't imagine how yours are looking, especially those of you with the newer Unibody systems...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dear Apple,
    Why must you put some much bleedin thermal paste on these poor defenceless chips? Surely using so much paste will only cause them to harbour more heat, then displace it? Well.. this system has been cleaned up, no thanks to you...

Well.. I've replaced all that gunk with some Super Thermal Grease, it's super thin!! It fills in the dents, gaps and what have you, creating a perfect contact between the chip and your heat sink. I've chosen this product cause it's better under intensive heat, plus it doesn't need to be replaced every six to twelve months.

[​IMG]

Meet the family...Think I shouldn't buy anymore systems for now.. What you think?
    [​IMG]

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Nice, loved reading through that.

I, for one, would never dare to open up my machine :D - good on you for doing so :D

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I thought you got the new Unibody MacBook Pro... I was gonna come over and steal it from you. :p

4. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Initially, after reading the thread title, I immediately thought he got the new Unibody MBP's delivered...

Misleading title :D (joking ;) )

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

ROFL, that is bad. I need to get around to opening up my whitebook to see what a cock and bull job they've made of the thermal paste.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Please post a pic of how much of the new thermal paste you applied.

7. RobLS macrumors member

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Hey since you crack these bad boys open a lot. You have any tips on case warping on the macbook pro by the latch to open the top?

super glue? hehe

9. svndmvn Guest

Are you the same person that got an extra Mac Pro from Apple or an ACD or something? That would make you quite lucky, I have to say..

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

TBH I don't get it. The OP buys a new (refurb) Macbook Pro and before he even spends 5 minutes installing any software he cracks it open to reapply the thermal paste?? What's the point of buying something new (or refurb) and then take it apart to clean up a mess left from Apple? There's been no evidence of the Macbooks running a lot cooler, a small percentage, maybe, but certainly not worth reapplying paste.
    It would've been better to buy the new unibody 17". They run much cooler, it ran pretty cool when I played with it.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, that's what I wanted to see so that I can see if the person who criticised Apple's job got a better result. ;)

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Great job Ultra! I keep telling people that refurbished is the way to go with your own money. If it's someone else's then sure, buy new, but the money you save on refurbished is what keeps me going that route.

I would have done two things while that machine was open.

1) put in the 320 7.2k, I know you said you needed it for the system drive, but I have seen some great improvement over the 5.4k version of that drive. And the Scorpios are the right price IMHO. Finding them for around $110 on the average so I know you could get one for a smoother $100.

2) I would have definitely taken out the optical and put in One of these babies!. That was I'd have a 320 7.2k scratch and 320 7.2k system. Or even a 500 5.4k system. Then had the optical as an optional external instead of a second HDD connected through FW.

But that's just me.

13. blitzraider macrumors member

You Noob, I thought that you already got a new unibody mbp even though shipping is prosponed. I was gonna kill you if you did get the unibody. :)

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice acquisition; however I will not buy such a machine.

15. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Nice inside the case images ;)

Btw, you're gunna get a LOT of people coming round thinking you got the brand new MBP 17" early lol.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

why not?

17. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Nicely done, mate.

There was much discussion regarding thermal paste 3 years ago, when the coreduo models first came out. It's sad that Apple are still applying that stuff with a trowel.

I stripped my 2 GHz and rebuilt it using Akasa 5022 and it's run relatively cool ever since. It looks like I'll be tearing my Unibody 17" apart as soon as it arrives, just to be on the safe side. The Akasa compound can be quite tricky to use but that super thermal grease looks very easy to apply with its brush-applicator. Do you have a link to its thermal properties?

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I was going to say the same thing, the grease looks really good, is it still quite viscous? Wouldnt want it flowing around.. and what method did you use to remove the old thermal paste? because i always find it hard to get it completely off.

19. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I find this stuff does the job a treat, as long as the instructions are followed.

20. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Yep, we hear ya. :eek:

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

21. MrZebra macrumors regular

22. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

They're Coming....

The strength of the 'classic' alu MacBookPro's doesn't come from the external shell, you know right? cause aluminium is very soft! There's a sub-frame or skeleton inside, where everything is bolted to before it's bolted to the outer shell slightly twisted, the whole thing will eventually warp and buckle.

If your confident, I'd open it up and re-adjust the inner sub-case, it's a fairly lengthy process cause some of the fixing screws are under the logic-board and other components. I think it's only warping due to the fact that something is bend, twisted, or not sitting flat, guess it kinda happens during assembly - assembled with cheap labour.. what can we say?

To straighten the bottom you'll need to disassemble and reassemble the whole unit on a flat surface, glass work tops are best, i find. And from experience it's best not to pick the system up while trying to rebuild it.

This MBP17 wasn't flat, sort of rocky!
    Always felt like there's one foot in the air, no matter how i tried to push it flat, was another reason to disassemble it. lol

Still gotta reassemble mine, it's bits are everywhere,
    right across my dining room table.. :eek: lol

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ultraneo i just checked your site out, and its like rant central haha! i love the bit about iplayer, so true.

I think we need to have a manual on Macrumours about how to remove the excess thermal paste, my MBP looks like it was dumped on with a shovel, i swear the people building Apples laptops get more and more stupid every year. That or they've forgotten the meaning of quality control. Im not looking forward to having to dissasemble my new 17" Unibody just because of the thermal paste.

24. MrZebra macrumors regular

It would be interesting to see a video of this procedure :p

25. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

A long time ago used to used a public community like Typepad and Blogger but someone complained, ended up having the account closed. I still need a place to blow off steam, it's healthier than bottling up inside. Guess, there's nothing like a personal blog hosted on private space. Thanks mt. After all, you know what's the UK's is like when you're trying to state your opinion; the BBC has been really up tight about it recently, makes me laugh! I dunno, people here seem to be in aww and criticise you, telling you it ain't PC. Seems we don't have the right to ask others to respect our opinions any more, nor can we be bespoken. It really ticks me off! In Japan, we have the right to express our opinions and when asked, we have to respect the opinions of other's, it's a right!!

I think there's a fine line about having a section about "how to..." cause many users are rather squeamish about opening their system, just look at the number of threads arguing about upgrading their HD's. Cause many seems to worry about voiding their warranty.. quite right too!!

Bottom line though, I think opening up the system and redoing that paste shouldn't but I reckon it's not something Apple would approve off.