Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Since there were references to what was deemed to be new MBPs in 10.12.4 could we expect them soon since 10.12.4 is out now?
Correct me if I am wrong but in the past whenever references to new HW shows up in an OS X release the hardware usually shows up at the launch or relatively soon afterwards.
So for me that would mean the Kaby Lake minor upgrade to the MBP could show up soon.

Thoughts?

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
But if the latest OS X release support new HW isn't it historically accurate that it would mean a relatively imminent release? I can't remember seeing reference to new configurations in SW releases that weren't followed up with new HW relatively soon. I have also seen quite a few discounts on current configs more so than normal which usually also indicates updated hw.
Oh well, I guess time will tell.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
But if the latest OS X release support new HW isn't it historically accurate that it would mean a relatively imminent release? I can't remember seeing reference to new configurations in SW releases that weren't followed up with new HW relatively soon. I have also seen quite a few discounts on current configs more so than normal which usually also indicates updated hw.
Oh well, I guess time will tell.
[doublepost=1491332958][/doublepost]Currently stock is getting low with several dealers. Mac mall and Adorama are out or almost out of base model and same for Amazon.

roundski

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
I hope that the Intels delay in bringing out the Intel Core i5-7260U and Intel Core i7-7660U, for both intel nucs i5 and i7 which are more than 6 weeks late coming out and now should be released sometime after Easter, could be the reason that Apple and Microsoft haven't yet released Kaby lake Macbook pros and Surface pro 5s.
MacbookPro 13,1 in 10.12.4 logs have same processors as the upcoming Nucs

10.12.4 log:

MacBookPro13,1

Intel Core i5-7260U 2.2GHz (max Turbo Boost 3.4 GHz) with Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640 (15W)

Intel Core i7-7660U 2.5 GHz (max Turbo Boost 4.0 GHz) with Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640 (15W)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
could be the reason that Apple and Microsoft haven't yet released Kaby lake Macbook pros
Apple hasn't released a Kaby Lake MBP because they just released their 2016 model, and they'll not about to update it so sooner after its introduction. We'll see new MBPs in the fall.

TheArcher

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
This would be a complete anomaly for Apple to release a new MBP so soon after launch. There are rumors Apple will be switching to IGZO for the display so this might be it. IGZO will allow Apple to reach 4k on the display with a better and more energy efficient screen substrate. I doubt a 4k display will be released until the fall but the material switch will most likely happen. It's about time.

Intel Kaby Lake, why? It's an improvement, ~ 15%, based mostly on increased clock rate of, you guessed it, ~ 15%. This isn't Apple's fault but Intel's. Intel has rested on it's laurels as Apple has (and perhaps continues) to do so. AMD's new architecture, Zen, presents serious competition to Intel with the mobile variants being released in 2H. This has caused Intel to move up their time line and possibly release Coffee Lake in the fall. And, we can hope, Coffee Lake will be the next upgrade to the rMBP along with a 4k retina display.

I think Apple has taken a wash on the touch bar as well, lack of LPDDR 4 ram, all of the glitches with the 2016 MBP model, the COST of the machine, etc. Just look at the demand for the 2015 MBP, it has far outstripped Apple's expectations. This should be the firs clue.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
This would be a complete anomaly for Apple to release a new MBP so soon after launch. There are rumors Apple will be switching to IGZO for the display so this might be it. IGZO will allow Apple to reach 4k on the display with a better and more energy efficient screen substrate. I doubt a 4k display will be released until the fall but the material switch will most likely happen. It's about time.

Intel Kaby Lake, why? It's an improvement, ~ 15%, based mostly on increased clock rate of, you guessed it, ~ 15%. This isn't Apple's fault but Intel's. Intel has rested on it's laurels as Apple has (and perhaps continues) to do so. AMD's new architecture, Zen, presents serious competition to Intel with the mobile variants being released in 2H. This has caused Intel to move up their time line and possibly release Coffee Lake in the fall. And, we can hope, Coffee Lake will be the next upgrade to the rMBP along with a 4k retina display.

I think Apple has taken a wash on the touch bar as well, lack of LPDDR 4 ram, all of the glitches with the 2016 MBP model, the COST of the machine, etc. Just look at the demand for the 2015 MBP, it has far outstripped Apple's expectations. This should be the firs clue.

All true, but the 2016 is a huge seller. Machine is plenty fast for me. I think we get too hung up on these performance increases that most of us don't realize on a day-to-day basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.