new MBP, copy of Windows 7, Parallels 5 and bootcamp. What next?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by skerfoot, May 7, 2010.

1. skerfoot macrumors member

OK, I'm sitting here with the following ingredients:
    Brand new i7 15inch MBP
    Parallels 5
    Windows 7 Pro OEM.

First, I can't decide whether I should install Windows in a bootcamp partition, giving me the option of running it with parallels or boot, or if I should just stick with parallels. What do I give up by running Windows from a partition via parallels? I've looked and cant find anything concrete. This route gives the most options, but at what cost?

Second, I went to the apple support page to download the updated Bootcamp for 64bit Windows. I downloaded it, but now what? I must be missing something, but I cant figure out how to install the update.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Using MRoogle will give you hundreds of threads about the questions you ask.

In short, Boot Camp is for running Windows at native and full speed, while Mac OS X does not run.
    Parallels is used for running Windows as a virtual machine (VM) inside Mac OS X, thus Mac OS X is running and Windows is not as fast as it would be via Boot Camp.

The BC 3.1 drivers are meant to be used in Windows.

Again, MRoogle will find you plenty of answers.

What? Parallels uses a file or several to store the VMs on the Mac OS X partition. Boot Camp uses a separate partition to run Windows. You can use that partition in Parallels though.

Double what?

3. celticpride678

Please search as this topic has been posted multiple times already.

4. megaclaw macrumors newbie

How did it go with OEM Win 7 and MBP?

Skerfoot, so how did it work out? I have Parallels 5 and would like to install my Win 7 OEM Prof version with both Boot camp and parallels, but want to hear from someone who's tried it before I crack open the OEM box. Some prognosticate that you can't have OEM on both parallels and bootcamp, but I haven't found someone to speak to their actual experience yet. Thanks!!

5. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I don't know if Parallels has this option but in VMware Fusion you can use your bootcamp partition as a virtual machine. So you can run OSX normally, windows in bootcamp, or windows in osx as a virtual machine using fusion. If parallels doesnt have that option, I suggest you switch to fusion cuz it basically gives you the best of both worlds.

6. MacRodster macrumors member

Parallels allows for the same....

7. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Ok then use parallels and run ur bootcamp partition as a vm