New MBP - Cosmetic damage out of the box. Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dallas112678, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dallas112678, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Hey, first off, this is going to sound very superficial and no big deal whatsoever but still it is bothering me and I would like advice.

So, I got my BTO cMBP on thursday and I've been noticing these "chips" soon after. I've tried to just not bother worrying about them but I just have a hard time with them being there right out of the box on an almost $3000 machine.

What I mean by "chips" is that they aren't scratches as in they look almost like the speaker holes except they don't go all the way through the aluminum. In fact, 2 of the chips are basically the exact same size as the speaker holes and together they are roughly the same distance as that between two of the speaker holes. Not to mention these chips are right between the speakers and the keyboard cutoff as if what ever machine made the speaker holes is what made these.

I am absolutely certain I did not cause these because I have practically babied this computer since getting it and I have had nothing near the computer that could make these holes. You would literally need a pin to make such a hole into the aluminum.

Normally I would just return the computer, but the screen is absolutely beautiful and dead pixel free that I worry about the next one have a bigger defect like the dead pixel.

Would apple even take the computer back or would they try to say that I did the damage since I kept it for a few days? Do you think they would be willing to simply replace the keyboard part of the case since that is where these chips are? I would definitely prefer that over returning or replacing.

I know I am going to seem incredibly anal and it doesn't affect the computers performance at all. It is just the fact that I can't stop fixating on it after spending so much money on this thing.

Thanks for the advice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51685180@N05/7635169538/in/photostream/

A link to the "chip" that is most irritating to me since I see it when I am actually using the computer. That is the best picture I could get to show, however, the chip there is actually 2 pin sized chips (literally almost identical to the size of your speaker holes) grouped right next to each other which my camera didn't accurately capture.

2. dank414 macrumors member

You're not the only one. I have a nice small gash/dent around the thunderbolt port. Not as noticeable and eventually one would end up there.. wished I was the one that made it though. *and the display is perfect. Not worth risking for a dead pixel or worse bleeds.

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I have the exact same thing on the left speaker grille of my new RMBP. It almost looks like that hole in the grille was mispunched.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Forget about it, anything mass produced is going to have some level of imperfection, and you will find it if you look hard enough. A Mac is a computer, not a priceless work of art or jewellery, just use it and enjoy it. This is a very insignificant cosmetic blemish, you are well within your rights to exchange, however you may equally not be happy with the replacement and it`s relationship to perfection :p

5. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Knowing me, I'd probably exchange it after spending that much money. But as others have said, there is the chance of getting one with a worse problem... In which you'd have to exchange it again, and maybe again...

My advice is, if it bugs you, don't try to ignore it. I've done that before with devices, and I regret it later.

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I created a similar thread regarding a "chip" I had.

I returned the system and exchanged it immediately.

You may be the only one who will know about this imperfection but it will be the first thing you will see every time you use it.

My nick is on the hdmi port. We paid premium for these systems. We should expect premium products in return.

7. boto macrumors 6502

boto

You will only have one chance of exchanging it due to cosmetic damage out of the box so make sure you choose right. I exchanged 4 rMBP due to defects and each of the five units I played with had some sort of cosmetic damage whether it was dings, scrapes, chips, or discoloring. Also, other known issues I personally encountered with all of these machines was backlight bleeding and creaking noises from each of them, some were minor and some were very noticeable so if your screen and bottom plating is normal, just keep it to prevent any issues arising with the new unit. Even my current rMBP has a VERY small chip on the edge of the aluminium lid, as well as some barely noticeable backlight bleeding in a dark environment, but at the end of the day I realize this is probably going to be the best I will get.

8. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean. The screen is the ONLY thing that has kept me from returning it so far. I mean the screen is absolutely perfect. No dead pixels and it is literally the most uniformly lit screen I've ever had.

I think tomorrow I will call apple to ask if only the keyboard part of the casing can be changed instead of swapping the whole unit or returning. If not then I will just keep it and deal with it. If this chip was anywhere other than on the keyboard part of the casing I would be just fine. It's the simple fact that I always have to look at it while using it.

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

If you got it from apple and youre still in your 14 day return period. Then take it back and get another

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

lol, if my rMBP had a samsung screen, no ghosting, no blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and no creaking body, I'd be screaming for joy if the only issues were a couple of cosmetic pinpricks. :p :apple: :D

11. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

$3000.........Return it. This may not be the greatest analogy but would be willing to accept nicks, chips, or dings on that new automobile because the "nav" system screen looked great?

12. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update.

I took it into my local apple store and explained the chip. I also explained that I would rather they replace that part of the case rather than me swapping the computer and possibly getting something worse such as a dead pixel. They had absolutely no problem with that and are now ordering that part of the case.

At the end of the day, I am a very happy customer :).