New MBP i5 has short battery life and is getting hot than prev. Core 2 Duo models

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iskender, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Iskender macrumors newbie

Hi!

My previous MBP 13" was very silent, cool and had a bigger battery life, when I changed my MBP 13" Core 2 Duo to i5 Sandy Bridge I miss my prev. MBP. Its getting very hot, shows 7 hours but it looks like it works only for 4 hours, has a louder sound of its HD. Or is it just mine encountered issue? They are the models with the smallest configuration on Apple Store and which sold for $1199. But despite its hot blooded character I love it :)

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

new 2011s get hotter than Prev. Gen.?

this cant be possible no wayyyyy!!!!!!

3. FOX160 macrumors regular

Regarding battery life there have been posts on this saying the 2011 battery
    life reviewed now is more accurate to the 2010 review based on usage.
    Also the battery life will be a little less due to the faster i5 processor
    and yes the i5 would be a little warmer.

4. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, its getting more hot that prev. gen, because of i5 processor. About battery I think they exaggerated to say that its now more precise, yeah its precise but i5 also gets hotter and eats battery more, I don't feel that I used 7 hours. I used of course internet through ethernet cable, bluetooth is on, wifi was off, photoshop, text edit, chrome, preview and adium were opened. I can say I used a little more that 4 hours and it showed at the end 8% of battery. The hot area is where Mag safe is attached down to the caps lock and shift button. Bottom side is hot till the middle of the MBP, concisely 60% or 70% area is hot. Of course its not hot as you could cook the eggs but it has very notable temperature differences between prev. gen and 2011 models.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Open "Activity Monitor", and check which application uses how much CPU. Check if there is anything that uses lots of CPU. For example, Finder in "Cover Flow" view often uses a lot of CPU. And that eats the battery and makes the laptop hot.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I read that as well; Apple using more realistic test parameters, rather than reducing the backlight to artificial levels and other factors...

7. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

My MPB 13" i5 works for 4 hours and 14 minutes. I counted it two times. I started calibrating lets see what will happen.

8. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

After calibrating my MBP it shows 97% charge and more than 10 hours. I'll continue testing but battery calibration helped me.

9. matwue macrumors member

As mentioned in this thread, what you are doing with your Macbook dramatically influences how long it will last on a single charge: If you don't do anything and the computer just idles around, you may get a reading of 10h battery life or even more. If you browse the macrumors forum, you may get 6-7h battery life depending on how often you refresh the page, how often you scroll around, etc. - but if you start watching a HD youtube video or use other CPU intensive apps, your laptop will get hot and your battery time will reduce significantly to something like 3-4h. This is normal and has nothing do to with battery calibration. If stressed, the CPU can use a lot of energy, if idle, it will use very, very little.

10. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

matwue

Yep, you are absolutely right. Concisely I made a panic, its all right with my MBP. Just its warmer than my previous generation MBP. I realized that flash player and other video playing softs make it hotter even if it shows little usage of CPU on Activity Monitor.

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

LOL! o rly?