New MBP questions - Can I keep a working copy of my iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warvanov, Nov 4, 2011.

1. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I just got my new MacBook Pro and I'm trying to figure out how to do a couple of things. You guys seem pretty clever so I'm sure you'll be able to help me out.

First things first. I also have an old Mac mini on my home network with an external 1TB drive. Currently I have my music collection and an assortment of movies and TV shows stored on this external drive. Music plays via AirTunes to two sets of speakers around the house. TV shows and movies play to Xbox via Playback.

1) The first thing I'd like to do is move my iTunes library and music to my MBP. No problem. But what I'd also like is to keep an exact copy of the library on the external drive connected to the mini so that music I download and import on the MBP will be available on the network to other machines when my MBP is offline or out of the house. This will also serve as a backup of my music collection. Is this possible?

2) I'd also like to automate the process of moving movies and shows downloaded or ripped on the MacBook Pro to a folder on the mini's external drive. The idea is that the vast collection will be stored in a single place for streaming to the Xbox, but I don't want to have to copy every new file over by hand every time. This might be possible using Automator, but I've never played around with that.

2. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Well as for the 1st Question, iCloud is an Automated way of Say, you download a song or add a song on your macbook pro, if your Other iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch/Mac is signed in and authorized on the same itunes account as the computer you downloaded or added on, that song will go on all your other devices, Not sure if it only works with songs you buy, but iTunes match for sure does every song. As for the movies and shows, atm Movies cant do What I Just explained, but with TV shows iCloud will sync it to all the authorized devices I Think, though i could be wrong.

EDIT: Homesharing is another Option also in iTunes.

3. warvanov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will iCloud work if the Mac mini in question is running 10.5? (It can't be upgraded any further, as it's a G4.)

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

iCloud is only supported in Lion.

5. warvanov thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I thought. Damn.

6. warvanov thread starter macrumors 6502a