New MBP Retina — iTunes Audio is Terrible

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bms259, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bms259 macrumors member

I just got a new 15in MBPr — an upgrade from an old 13in MBP.

In iTunes, the audio is pretty bad. Very much from built-in speakers, but also from head phones too. Audio from the same file in Quicktime is better.

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

2. samh macrumors 6502

You're going to need to take it to a a Genius Bar probably. Somebody is going to need to hear the problem before anything can be done for you.

3. bms259 thread starter macrumors member

The closest Genius Bar is 2 hours away...I was assuming it was just a problem within iTunes.

4. samh macrumors 6502

I'm sorry. I missed the bit about QuickTime.

Open iTunes. Press Command+Option+2 to open the Equalizer, and take a screen shot (Command+Shirt+4 ) and post it here please.

5. bms259 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. samh macrumors 6502

Ok those EQ settings are probably doing you in. Adding that many dB's in those ranges is probably leading to digital clipping. If you really want a curve like that, try cutting the frequencies you don't want and the setting tr ranges you currently boost to 0. I'll post an example later. But I would start with attending the EQ and seeing how things to.

7. bms259 thread starter macrumors member

I don't recall ever setting EQ settings — I may have years ago on my 13in MBP and maybe they got transferred over. I've changed it to one of the other built in presets, and it seems to be a lot better.

Of course I'm open to any "optimal" settings if there is a such a thing.

Thanks for the help!

8. samh macrumors 6502

Optimal settings are going to be based on the speakers being used, the room you're in, your own ears, where you sit in relation to the computer, and potentially the music itself.

But either the equalizer turned off, set to a flat preset, or one of the built-in presets should be suitable.