New MBP Warranty Drops From 1 yr. to 90 Days Upon Repair??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nigelallistair, Aug 13, 2010.

1. nigelallistair macrumors newbie

I'll call Apple to confirm what I think I see here on Monday but....

I bought my son a 13" MBP for his HS graduation 2 months ago. Soon after it began having some black screen issues and generally acting funky. (I own 3 other Macs at home, I use one at work and another son has one so I'm familiar with their regular behavior).

The black screens settled down and seemed to go away. Then a short bit later it seemed to have some charging issues. So he takes to to the Genius Bar, they open it and find what they call "corrosion" on the motherboard, agree to a repair and it goes way for a week.

Comes back and we see from the reciept that, basically, the guts were replaced. Motherboard, charger parts, top cover. A grand worth of part says the recepit.

It goes home and we plug it in and find that the charger light won't light. It lights for a second then goes out. It won't charge. he takes it back, they open it and tell him it's a bad battery and they'll order another one. WTF? They replaced a thousand dollars worth of parts and didn't check for a bad battery? The battery comes in, he takes the unit back in and leaves it for 2 days (yes, they said it'd take that long to put in the battery though they checked it in 3 minutes when they diagnosed it).

We pick it up...it seems fine now but again the receipt. Over $700 worth of parts. Again, WTF?

Something's weird that they would do that, no?

But more importantly...when I looked over the receipts more carefully for him, they state that the warranty is 90 days. So essentially the 1 year warranty we got when buying the thing has been reduced to 90 days (and of course the 60 days he''s he's owned it) b/c the guts are all "repairs" to them? Am I reading this right?

If so I think I'm up for raising a stink. Seriously...that's BS. I mean I love me my Macs but huh?

Am I missing something? I don't have the receipts in from of me to quote exact part numbers replaced and such but I can get those if it would help anyone have an informed opinion.

Thanks much.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't see where Apple/Genius did anything wrong. You were having problems (black screen) and they determined it was the logic board. They replaced it. Sure, they could've checked the battery but if that wasn't the problem, you could see why they didn't check it out. The battery just so happens to be bad too, it was a coincidence.

The 90 days you see on the receipt is for those who are out of warranty or without AppleCare. For each repair, the part replaced has a 90 day warranty. Since your computer is 2 months old, don't worry about what it says on the receipt, you still have the 1 year hardware warranty.

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Don't hold me to this but I'm pretty sure its 90 days or the year. Whichever comes second. I have applecare on mine and have taken it in a couple times and its a year and a half old. Never had any problems.

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Your standard 1-year warranty or Apple Care warranty is still in effect - the parts come with a 90-day warranty, but it doesn't eliminate or reduce the overall warranty. You're fine.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

No, which ever one is longer... the warranty from service, or the standard one. Apple is nice, and says which ever warranty is longer, they will go by. Just punch in your serial number into Apple's site, and it will tell you how much longer you have your warranty.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do