iPhone XR New Member - A little worried about the XR

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Garemlin, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Garemlin Suspended

Garemlin

So I was a two year iphone user up until a few months ago. Decided to go back to Android, which I was with since pretty much the beginning. Picked up a Pixel 2 XL. Well the Android experience isn't all I thought it had improved to. In the two or so years I had the iPhone I had very few issues. In the two months I have had my P2XL I have had many freeze ups, app crashes and random app shut downs. Just not a pleasing experience. Missing my 7+. So I'm probably coming back to iOS.

I was seriously considering the XR. But with all of the issues with reception I'm reading about with the XS and XS Max I'm a little leery now. Obviously the XR will be using the same build and same Intel chip. I live in a fringe area and reception at work is tricky since I'm basically in the middle of the building. So good reception is important to me. No issues with my P2XL or my previous 7+.

Debating if I should take a chance with the XR or just pick up an 8+.

Thoughts??

2. /macuser macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2018 ---
    I have had both modems. Its fine.

3. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Why not just wait till the XR is released and hear what everyone says about the reception. We do know it doesn't have the 4x4 mimo setup like the iPhone XS and Max, so retains the same 2x2 that is currently in other iPhones. Also the FCC gave the antenna a pretty good score. So, I don't think you'll see any reception issues. I have an 8+ for work phone and it's a nice iPhone no doubt about it, you can't go wrong. But if I was in the market today... I'd wait till the XR is released to make any final decisions.

4. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

5. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Don't think the reception will be worse than your 7+. Keep your Android phone and return the xr within 14 days if you have problems?

6. Garemlin thread starter Suspended

Garemlin

If I get it I will be buying it outright at Best Buy using my card. Thing is they flagged me for returns for some reason. Even though I have only made two returns this year. One was a phone case and another was an LG 65" TV exchange that was actually a warranty replacement because of their Geek Squad breaking my Sony. Bottom line is I don't want to end up stuck with it if my reception is poor. Kinda wanted to preorder just in case they sell out quick. And wanted to flip my Pixel before prices come down. Guess I may just wait it out.

7. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

dont used best buy then used apple.com

8. apolloa macrumors G4

From the reports it seems the reception issues are being caused by Apples new antenna design on the XS and XS Max, not the Intel modems. The XR will be using the same antenna design as last years X and 8 Plus so shouldn’t suffer from the reception issues.
    If that helps at all?

9. Garemlin thread starter Suspended

Garemlin

What is it about the antenna design that is different from the X and the XS? Aren't they pretty much the same?

10. DaveyVigs macrumors regular

DaveyVigs

If I’m not mistaken you can use your Best Buy card anywhere these days, even gas stations.

If so use it to buy from Apple directly then if it had reception issues or wasn’t up to spec, return it within the 14 day policy which does not have a restocking fee like Beat Buy does or used to.

11. apolloa macrumors G4

No, they are set up for 4X4 Mimo WiFi and gigabit LTE on the XS, the X and XR and 8 etc have 2X2 Mimo and advanced LTE.

Anyway some have reported some of the reception issues have been resolved by carrier updates of iOS 12.1
    I really wouldn’t worry about the reception if the XR.

12. Garemlin thread starter Suspended

Garemlin

That would be the Best Buy Mastercard. Not the store card.

13. DaveyVigs macrumors regular

DaveyVigs

My mistake. I had the store card and Best Buy automatically upgraded me to the MasterCard. Which I subsequently canceled due to still having the old Best Buy store cards ridiculously high APR of 21%

14. doboy macrumors 68020

Doesn’t BBY charge $50 or so extra for buying the phone outright? That’s what prevented me in the past from buying iPhones from BBY.

15. Garemlin thread starter Suspended

Garemlin

Without activation yes. You can pay full price and active for the same price as installment price.

16. NJHitmen macrumors 6502

NJHitmen

Just wait until after the XR has been released, and read some reviews. That's what I plan to do. Inevitably, customers will have some sort of complaints about it (there's never been an iPhone with zero issues) but I figure a few reviews should give us a general sense of the XR's strengths & weaknesses. I only plan to wait a week or two after release before making a decision. That should be enough time.

Of course there's no way to know for sure (yet) - but I suspect the XR's reception will be fine, and the screen will probably be ok too, if not as vibrant/sharp as that of the XS. That said, there may be some other problem that no one's predicting. So, I'll wait and see.

17. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

You can get the classic brand new iPhone X for £700

18. gurase macrumors 6502

I’m pretty sure Best Buy’s full price iPhone also locks to the first sim that it’s activated with. Google “Best Buy reseller flex policy”

19. Garemlin thread starter Suspended

Garemlin

Interesting. But in reading it says that if you use a Verizon sim card first it will be unlocked for all carriers. If I'm reading that correctly.

20. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

These “worried about X or Y issue” threads are interesting. Apple sells these things by the millions, have a 14-day return policy and their technical support is top notch.

Imagine if 300 million phones were defective.

21. apolloa macrumors G4

Well, some would say every iPhone 4 and 6 and 6S are faulty due to antenna design flaws and battery failures, so I think the OP has a right to be concerned if they want to be.

22. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

And not just millions, but hundreds of millions... no matter what people say, I still think Apple has the best quality check procedure in the business. Like MKBHD pointed out in his YT video, if Apple has a 0.001% of all the devices defected it affects about a couple of thousand of products. These numbers are insane.

Apple's 14-day return policy is second to none as well.

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Pick-up an XR, and if within 14 days, the reception is not what you expect, exchange for an 8+.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2018 ---
    LOL... the 300 million phones are probably defective. These novice (people inexperienced in tech issues) just don't know it. :D

24. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

Where from? O2 charge 899 I think.