iPhone XR New Member - A little worried about the XR

Garemlin

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
So I was a two year iphone user up until a few months ago. Decided to go back to Android, which I was with since pretty much the beginning. Picked up a Pixel 2 XL. Well the Android experience isn't all I thought it had improved to. In the two or so years I had the iPhone I had very few issues. In the two months I have had my P2XL I have had many freeze ups, app crashes and random app shut downs. Just not a pleasing experience. Missing my 7+. So I'm probably coming back to iOS.

I was seriously considering the XR. But with all of the issues with reception I'm reading about with the XS and XS Max I'm a little leery now. Obviously the XR will be using the same build and same Intel chip. I live in a fringe area and reception at work is tricky since I'm basically in the middle of the building. So good reception is important to me. No issues with my P2XL or my previous 7+.

Debating if I should take a chance with the XR or just pick up an 8+.

Thoughts??

/macuser

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2013
So I was a two year iphone user up until a few months ago. Decided to go back to Android, which I was with since pretty much the beginning. Picked up a Pixel 2 XL. Well the Android experience isn't all I thought it had improved to. In the two or so years I had the iPhone I had very few issues. In the two months I have had my P2XL I have had many freeze ups, app crashes and random app shut downs. Just not a pleasing experience. Missing my 7+. So I'm probably coming back to iOS.

I was seriously considering the XR. But with all of the issues with reception I'm reading about with the XS and XS Max I'm a little leery now. Obviously the XR will be using the same build and same Intel chip. I live in a fringe area and reception at work is tricky since I'm basically in the middle of the building. So good reception is important to me. No issues with my P2XL or my previous 7+.

Thoughts??
[doublepost=1539491899][/doublepost]I have had both modems. Its fine.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

Thoughts??
Why not just wait till the XR is released and hear what everyone says about the reception. We do know it doesn't have the 4x4 mimo setup like the iPhone XS and Max, so retains the same 2x2 that is currently in other iPhones. Also the FCC gave the antenna a pretty good score. So, I don't think you'll see any reception issues. I have an 8+ for work phone and it's a nice iPhone no doubt about it, you can't go wrong. But if I was in the market today... I'd wait till the XR is released to make any final decisions.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Don't think the reception will be worse than your 7+. Keep your Android phone and return the xr within 14 days if you have problems?

Garemlin

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Don't think the reception will be worse than your 7+. Keep your Android phone and return the xr within 14 days if you have problems?
If I get it I will be buying it outright at Best Buy using my card. Thing is they flagged me for returns for some reason. Even though I have only made two returns this year. One was a phone case and another was an LG 65" TV exchange that was actually a warranty replacement because of their Geek Squad breaking my Sony. Bottom line is I don't want to end up stuck with it if my reception is poor. Kinda wanted to preorder just in case they sell out quick. And wanted to flip my Pixel before prices come down. Guess I may just wait it out.

Reactions: Cape Dave

snow755

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2012
If I get it I will be buying it outright at Best Buy using my card. Thing is they flagged me for returns for some reason. Even though I have only made two returns this year. One was a phone case and another was an LG 65" TV exchange that was actually a warranty replacement because of their Geek Squad breaking my Sony. Bottom line is I don't want to end up stuck with it if my reception is poor. Kinda wanted to preorder just in case they sell out quick. And wanted to flip my Pixel before prices come down. Guess I may just wait it out.

dont used best buy then used apple.com

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Thoughts??
From the reports it seems the reception issues are being caused by Apples new antenna design on the XS and XS Max, not the Intel modems. The XR will be using the same antenna design as last years X and 8 Plus so shouldn’t suffer from the reception issues.
If that helps at all?

Reactions: nutmac

Garemlin

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
From the reports it seems the reception issues are being caused by Apples new antenna design on the XS and XS Max, not the Intel modems. The XR will be using the same antenna design as last years X and 8 Plus so shouldn’t suffer from the reception issues.
If that helps at all?
What is it about the antenna design that is different from the X and the XS? Aren't they pretty much the same?

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
If I’m not mistaken you can use your Best Buy card anywhere these days, even gas stations.

If so use it to buy from Apple directly then if it had reception issues or wasn’t up to spec, return it within the 14 day policy which does not have a restocking fee like Beat Buy does or used to.

Reactions: Daniel1986

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
What is it about the antenna design that is different from the X and the XS? Aren't they pretty much the same?
No, they are set up for 4X4 Mimo WiFi and gigabit LTE on the XS, the X and XR and 8 etc have 2X2 Mimo and advanced LTE.

Anyway some have reported some of the reception issues have been resolved by carrier updates of iOS 12.1
I really wouldn’t worry about the reception if the XR.

Garemlin

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
If I’m not mistaken you can use your Best Buy card anywhere these days, even gas stations.

If so use it to buy from Apple directly then if it had reception issues or wasn’t up to spec, return it within the 14 day policy which does not have a restocking fee like Beat Buy does or used to.
That would be the Best Buy Mastercard. Not the store card.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
That would be the Best Buy Mastercard. Not the store card.
My mistake. I had the store card and Best Buy automatically upgraded me to the MasterCard. Which I subsequently canceled due to still having the old Best Buy store cards ridiculously high APR of 21%

Reactions: Cape Dave

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
Doesn’t BBY charge $50 or so extra for buying the phone outright? That’s what prevented me in the past from buying iPhones from BBY.

Garemlin

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Doesn’t BBY charge $50 or so extra for buying the phone outright? That’s what prevented me in the past from buying iPhones from BBY.
Without activation yes. You can pay full price and active for the same price as installment price.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Just wait until after the XR has been released, and read some reviews. That's what I plan to do. Inevitably, customers will have some sort of complaints about it (there's never been an iPhone with zero issues) but I figure a few reviews should give us a general sense of the XR's strengths & weaknesses. I only plan to wait a week or two after release before making a decision. That should be enough time.

Of course there's no way to know for sure (yet) - but I suspect the XR's reception will be fine, and the screen will probably be ok too, if not as vibrant/sharp as that of the XS. That said, there may be some other problem that no one's predicting. So, I'll wait and see.

waquzy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK

Thoughts??
You can get the classic brand new iPhone X for £700

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I’m pretty sure Best Buy’s full price iPhone also locks to the first sim that it’s activated with. Google “Best Buy reseller flex policy”

Reactions: lyngo

Garemlin

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
I’m pretty sure Best Buy’s full price iPhone also locks to the first sim that it’s activated with. Google “Best Buy reseller flex policy”
Interesting. But in reading it says that if you use a Verizon sim card first it will be unlocked for all carriers. If I'm reading that correctly.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
These “worried about X or Y issue” threads are interesting. Apple sells these things by the millions, have a 14-day return policy and their technical support is top notch.

Imagine if 300 million phones were defective.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
These “worried about X or Y issue” threads are interesting. Apple sells these things by the millions, have a 14-day return policy and their technical support is top notch.

Well, some would say every iPhone 4 and 6 and 6S are faulty due to antenna design flaws and battery failures, so I think the OP has a right to be concerned if they want to be.

waquzy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK

And not just millions, but hundreds of millions... no matter what people say, I still think Apple has the best quality check procedure in the business. Like MKBHD pointed out in his YT video, if Apple has a 0.001% of all the devices defected it affects about a couple of thousand of products. These numbers are insane.

Apple's 14-day return policy is second to none as well.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Thoughts??
Pick-up an XR, and if within 14 days, the reception is not what you expect, exchange for an 8+.
[doublepost=1539624652][/doublepost]

LOL... the 300 million phones are probably defective. These novice (people inexperienced in tech issues) just don't know it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.