New Member - In need of good advice and help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johnnygills82, Jun 28, 2012.

1. johnnygills82 macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post.

Cut a long story short, bought my ex an iphone 4, had problems with her, so got the phone network provider to disable the sim and handset. I also went on Icloud and remote locked the phone and performed a remote wipe.

Is there anyway at all she could get the handset unblocked unofficially and up and running again??

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sounds like somebody needs a Restraining order.. In the future don't date crazy women it ain't worth it.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I don't know the answer, but what difference would it make to you now if she did? If she can get it working again, it won't be on your phone bill or with access to any of your data or apps. She still has the phone - if you can't get it back from her, it won't affect your life what she does with it.

4. johnnygills82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quite a lot, i paid £430 for it and want it back or shut off!

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

in all seriousness what network are you on is it gsm or cdma? your best bet would take her to court. However if she won't return it nicely if it's a gift then there is a good chance you will loose.

6. johnnygills82 thread starter macrumors newbie

its gsm i guess, Uk phone. it was never a gift only a lend really. the thing i want to really know is can it be unlocked after all what i said in my first post?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes there are ways to unlock it's difficulty depends on firmware and baseband and her knowledge but unblocking the sim. all she has to do is put a new sim in most likely she is not blocked from using the phone on that carrier just using that number. through blocks are done with the phones imei not sim and even that's not a 100% worse case there would be sell it for use in another country or region.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a great relationship:D
    If its blacklisted then it cannot be used with any UK carrier. But she can still sell it and get some good money for it. Either way best advice would be for you to move on and not worry about it any longer. And like the poster above said it has nothing to do with your phone bill, itunes account or anything else now.
    Learn from the experience and try not to put yourself in a situation like that again.
    Its never a good idea to add a girlfriends line to your phone plan.
    Not unless you been together for a long time and you can trust her.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just go and take it back or send someone to pick it up. If not then it will be hers.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Typically the imei lock carried out by your network will hold in the Uk.
    If shipped abroad then the lock can lift in some cases.

There are ways of bypassing lockouts with the knowhow and software but as responsible members this is not discussed on here.

Im aware some people will buy locked phones to use as spare parts or send them abroad.

I recently had my iPhone 4 stolen and remote wiped it and locked it out and my carrier imei locked. Im more concerned in having my data wiped than the ownership of the phone.

11. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Welcome to the forums! You're a spiteful dick.

Seriously, though - as the other members said, it won't affect your phone bill even if she uses it again. That childish "if I can't have it, nobody can" attitude is a waste of energy. Not to generalize, but I'd bet you're probably under 25, definitely under 30, correct? You'll learn to let stuff go eventually.

Before I got married, I dropped thousands of dollars over the years on ex GFs, and didn't expect any of those things back just because the relationship ended.

Having another useless iPhone in the world won't help her, but it definitely won't help you, either!

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

End of argument as its hers.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, his statement says it all "I bought her an iPhone4".

Any legal authority will allow her to keep the phone, but not require you to pay the phone plan.

Gifts and things you buy for others become their property when you hand it to them.