New Mexico Becomes the 17th State to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Subject says it all. And also to note, with New Mexico legalizing it, 1/3rd of the States in this country now have legalized same-sex marriage. Personally, I would believe that by the end of the 2024 POTUS term, the entire country will have same-sex marriage.

But for now, enjoy it, New Mexico.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way.../new-mexicos-high-court-oks-same-sex-marriage

BL.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

3. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I hope you're right, I personaly don't see this happening so soon.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It will probably never happen in the deep south/midwest/bible belt states.

5. dec. Suspended

dec.

you're pretty much ******** if you're born there anyway. They are ranging within third world territory on my own "personal vacation spot list"...

6. vega07 macrumors 65816

LOL..ouch!

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It will happen all at once for most of the remaining states, through a Supreme Court ruling. And way sooner than 2024. I would guess no more than five years.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agreed. Not so confident about less than 5 years, but we'll see what happens.

And thumbs up to New Mexico. Another one bites the dust! Unfortunate, though, this is being overshadowed nationally because of that duck guy.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yeah, I am actually from the deep south. ( Atlanta ), and I didn't get ****ed.

But, I can tell you that outside of major cities in most places of the south, its nearly 3rd world, and the people are pretty stupid.

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

My thinking on the timing is that there are a number of cases - in virtually every state where marriage remains illegal - that have been filed in federal courts, not state courts, using equal protection clause and Windsor/DOMA arguments.

As these cases advance there will be some rulings in favour and some against when they hit the circuit court level. Regardless, since they are being filed in states with virulently bigoted governors, they will be appealed. there are simply too many of them for SCOTUS to ignore more than a few years - and if they DO choose to not hear the cases, there will be enough favourable rulings to make marriage legal in the vast majority of the country.

When marriage has been ruled legal in the vast majority of the country - it's already pushing close to 40% of the population - it becomes virtually impossible for SCOTUS to rule against it. It becomes an intolerable situation where people are married in most, but not all states.

Back when the first rulings came down in Canada, just over 10 years ago, I thought it would be a minimum of 20 years before marriage came to the entire United States. I've since revised that downwards.

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

Um, MN is in the Midwest, is not a redneck ********, and was the 12th state to legalize same-sex marriage.

12. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

NM, not MN

13. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

MN was the 12th state sometime in late summer and is in the Mid West.

NM was the 17th state and is in the SW

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Illinois is a midwest state and it's legal (well, going to be legal in a few months) there. Hell, Iowa was the 3rd state to legalize it, before many of the solidly blue states legalized it.

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

So has the number of states that allow same sex marriage finally surpassed the number of states that allow one to marry one's first cousin?

Spoiler: Nope.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

17. rdowns, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Season's Greetings! :D

@AP: BREAKING: Federal judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban, saying it is unconstitutional.

EDIT:

18. copykris Suspended

copykris

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I approve!! (especially the part where he says "for no rational reason".

Good news. I'm sure they'll try to appeal, but they'll lose. And we have yet another step in the right direction!

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Judge did not issue a stay. State is forced to issue marriage licenses immediately. (That's how it happened in Canada too.)

Merry Christmas, LGBT Utah.

Enjoy your lump of coal, Alan Osmond.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Utah is a huge win. I would have bet they'd be one of the last.

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's an absolutely tremendous win.

Maybe there's hope for Texas yet....

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Federal courts. No one is suing in state courts anymore - it's pointless because the only way to overturn a state ban is that it violates the federal constitution. That was the strategy that won the day in Prop 8.

Texas could come just as easily as Oregon or Ohio. Alabama or Mississippi could fall next.

24. vega07 macrumors 65816

Utah...who would have thunk? At this rate, we'll have marriage equality in no time. It's very heartwarming.